5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Which Engine choice to go

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 01:40 AM
95ConvGT
1st Gear Member

Default Which Engine choice to go

Hey guys i have been on here for a few weeks. I love everything i have seen so far and love all the info i can get on here i appreciate it all. great job on all that guys and gals.

I although have a few questions that ponder around in my head since i started looking to upgrade the 95gt conv me and my g/f got. It's a AOD but i plan on doing a 5 speed swap. The car has 56k original miles on it. I just did all the normal mait things to freshen it up. My ques is i am wondering if i should go ahead and do a H/C/I then a blower or TT setup. Save the money i was going to spend on that and just swap in a Cobra Motor so i can have the 4v motor. Looking at the 99 Cobra b/c the S/C ones are too pricey for me. The do my mods from there. I want this to be a street driven car so i was thinking somewhere in the 300-400 to the wheels would be great more if i could get it. What should i do???? Thanks guys in advance for the help
Old 02-06-2006, 02:15 AM
Suspect
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Which Engine choice to go

im a lil confused. u wanna put a mod motor in ur car? why? it has low miles and the 5.0s are known for lasting. i prolly have over 130,xxx and mine is running strong. u can get 300+ from a hci if put together well. and if u want more u can add the blower later. as for the tt setup id start saving for a stronger block.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:21 AM
95ConvGT
1st Gear Member

would it be considered a mod motor. i am just thinking the 4v motor is such a great motor. Well poop i guess i should just build the 302 with the H/C/I setup and all the mods i can throw at it. Then if i am not satisfied i will just put a supercharger on there.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:34 AM
Suspect
2nd Gear Member

yea. i think it goes...
4v-cobra & mach1
3v-2005gt
2v-gt

im not trying to dis on what u wanna do. i just figure u have a low mile motor why not use it 1st. prolly some big $ involved doing the modular swap. not saying it cant be done, but prolly more of a pita. ****, i have seen a few foxes with mod motors, so just do what makes ya happy, its ur car!
Old 02-06-2006, 02:36 AM
95ConvGT
1st Gear Member

I was just talking to someone and i think i decided just to stick with my low mile motor do what i can with it. then if i am not happy go from there. i won't know until i try
Old 02-06-2006, 12:11 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Your not going to be able to run a nice h/c/i and than a TT setup on a production block (FYI). If I were you, I would stroke it and do a c/h/i on it and you will more than likely be more than happy. I guess it all depends on wether you REAAAAALLY want a power adder or not. There are alot of different ways that you can go, its all preference I guess
Old 02-06-2006, 12:23 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

If you only want 300 - 400 RWHP you have 2 options, 1) low boost SC, 2) stroker NA
Old 02-06-2006, 01:54 PM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

the new 5.0 magazine has two foxes with the 03 cobra motor swap. those things are so nice under the hood of a fox.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:00 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

Yea it breaks down like this, all types of power adders and N/A will put you around the same Horse power...
Just add a turbo you get about 300hp to the wheels
Just add a s/c and get around 300 to the wheels
Put H/C/I, and get around 300 to the wheels
Stroker you will get about the same....it depends on the route you decide to take, you can always get H C I, and then low boost s/c and get 400 to the wheels, or Go H C I stroker and get 400 or so, or you could Go H C I with 331 stroker, then Turbo and get 500-600 hp...It all depends on which direction your going with the car, Ie track or road racing, daily driver or weekend racer...or strictly race car. you need to decide If your going to go with emissions legal parts or If you dont need to pass emissions tests.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:13 PM
doc_phibz
1st Gear Member

Yea, i think everyone agrees with you keeping the 302. but lets see. you want it to be a street driver. I'd go with with the heads, cam & intake and stroker application. then after that, you put on some headers, and you have a car that will really turn heads with a great sound. plus you can get the HCI all in one kit from some aftermarket companies so there goes a lot of guess work with pairing up the parts. then when you get the stroker kit, you'll have better pistons capable of handling power adders.

Quick Reply: Which Engine choice to go