5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

5.0 hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 10:57 PM
StangStang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 5.0 hesitation

ORIGINAL: mcfomco

just giving heads up on engine temp does have some say so on fuel rich or lean condition
Yes as stated by most of us this is true, but when you first start your car in the morning you can drive off with it right? The ect (engine coolant temp sensor) works by heat from the engine, the more heat the more it changes input to the computer, once the computer gets a high enough temp input it will change it from open to closed loop. If you had a bad ect you would run rich all of the time because its a safe mode for the car, better to run rich than lean. When you change your thermostat to a cooler temp you run richer, but still you wouldnt run as crappy as you do right now just because of a ect sensor. He says even after it warms up it runs like crap and when he firsts starts it; it runs the same way so I would rule out this option.

On to injectors, if you had a injector stuck open you would have a fouled plug in that injectors cylinder, if you have bad enough luck and happen to have all 8 stuck open injectors than you would miss fire and probably cause the engine to stall out. But I doubt that all 8 injectors are bad. If you had an injector that wasnt opening than you wouldnt have any fuel on the spark plug, or if you had a weak injector than you would run the cylinder lean and the plug would be white and probably damaged because of pre-ignition(bad). If you are worried about this check the porcelin behind the electrode for cracks(depending on how long and severe the pinging is) or get a look at the top of the piston and check the color again white is bad, the lighter the color the leaner the burn is, grey-dark grey is good.

Also the more retarded your timing is the cooler your engine will run, but only a few degrees, if the car isnt warming up at all it is either because it is running so crappy that it can warm up, or your thermostat is stuck open or missing. Still you should be able to spin in the snow

I stick with what I said in my first post, also make sure that when you did the conversion that you have your injector plug wires in the right order. also make sure you have good grounds going from your intake manifold to the firewall. DO NOT run any ground wires to the exhaust manifolds/headers. You will have all kinds of electrical problems if you do this. On my 92 f150 my volt meter and my temp gauge read high for a long time, I checked my grounds and both were being run to the exhaust manifold, so i moved one to the upper intake manifold and one to a bracket where it was supposed to go and now my truck shifts better, runs better, gauges both work, pa system works and so on. Grounds are very important. Dont get discuraged you will get the car up and running just start with the basic/easy stuff first. Relax and have a beer..
Old 02-02-2006, 11:03 PM
StangStang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marx91

^^^ yep thats true, if its mostly acting up when you first start it, theres a real good chance
that the ect is bad, a friend of mine was having problems w/ morning starts
and thats what it was
So your saying that when your friend first starts his car in the morning when the engine is cold (cold coolant) that the ect was causing it to run open loop (rich, which it is supposed to do) and run like crap??? The ect isnt doing anything at this point, it doesnt do anything untill the engine reaches a certain temp.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:50 AM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

ok stang stang not trying to ruffle any feathers here but all of the post point in different directions and was just correcting a miss statement in the first post of " run rich doesnt think it has anything to do with thermostat" it may not be the thermostat but if the ect doesnt send the signal to the pcm that the engine is warm it will continue to run rich the idea for the ect and efi is that you dont have the problems with cold starts they are set to run rich on cold start so you dont have the lovely choke to fool with in the mornings like the old days and as the temp comes up and air gets thinner it leans it down to compensate for proper air fuel mixture cold start it right the opposite cold air denser and requires more fuel to maintain air fuel mixture thats all my post was for. also if the ect is short to ground will effect mixture it causes the pcm to default and dump the fuel not saying the problem is the ect just adding to the thread is all if you dont agree you can pm me or ignore me but i dont wanna get into pissing match in the forums i am here to try to gain information and to lend information if i have somewhat of idea what im talking about so lets not kill the thread and let it go

wish the best of luck to finding the problem and fixing it asap
Old 02-03-2006, 11:10 AM
StangStang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mcfomco

ok stang stang not trying to ruffle any feathers

As the temp comes up and air gets thinner it leans it down to compensate for proper air fuel mixture cold start it right the opposite cold air denser and requires more fuel to maintain air fuel mixture thats all my post was for.

also if the ect is short to ground will effect mixture it causes the pcm to default and dump the fuel not saying the problem is the ect just adding to the thread is all

if you dont agree you can pm me or ignore me but i dont wanna get into pissing match in the forums i am here to try to gain information and to lend information if i have somewhat of idea what im talking about so lets not kill the thread and let it go
First off you have not "ruffled" any feathers, why would you say all of these wild crazy things, when it is simple. A ect will not cause the engine to run so poor that you can SPIN IN THE SNOW.

Secondly do you know what a incomming air temp sensor is? On mustang 5.0 the IAT is in the lower intake manifold, it senses air temp (density) and adjusts the fuel mixture, as the engine heats up so does the intake system, sensing the air temp in the lower manifold is a good idea because it is closser to the combustion chamber. On most gm products they put the IAT in the intake tub just before the throttle body. the ect has nothing to do with this, the ect controls open to closed loop.

Thirdly if the ect shorted to ground it would not "dump" fuel into the engine, it would cause the engine to go into closed loop, if you knew how a ect worked than you would understand. I suggest reading up

It sounds to me like you have gotten your feathers "ruffled". Calm down and think. I also am a driveline and driveability tech at a Ford dealership. I would suggest you take your own advice and just let it go. Good day
Old 02-03-2006, 02:08 PM
865.0trunk
1st Gear Member

thanks for all your help guys. im going up north tonight to work on it. its at my grandfathers shop he has 2 hoists so this is why i am able to do this swap by myself at 17 years old lol. i remember taking #1 plug wire off while it was running the ark didnt look that good when it was jumping to the plug, i think il do cap rotor plugs and wires. also i am running the coil from the 4 cylinder they look the same so i didnt bother changing it but il change that over too. il set the timign to 14*??? and il throw a thermostat in too. thanks for all your replies i appreciate it. i cant wait to get this thign going, i am going to be one of very few 5.0L fuelly 86 coupes around. il let you guys know how it goes when i get back sunday. thanks again also i dont think i hooked up the ground strap behind the motor, i didnt think anythign of it until you guys told me things run better with the engine grounded good. il do that too