5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

white smoke by my firewall help!! update!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 09:34 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: white smoke by my firewall help!!

are you getting fog on the wind sheild on the passenger side?
Old 02-04-2006, 12:48 AM
mustangman1

ORIGINAL: marx91

well the steam is coming from the right side and yes it looks like it's mostly coming from the hood veents by the windshield (on pass side) , do you have an idea of what it is?
Old 02-04-2006, 01:52 PM
mustangman1

ORIGINAL: mustangman1

well the steam is coming from the right side and yes it looks like it's mostly coming from the hood veents by the windshield (on pass side) , do you have an idea of what it is?
anyone have an idea?....i need this car to run by mon. so i can get to school, and i hope i dont have to work on the car instead of watchin the super bowl
Old 02-04-2006, 02:45 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

it sounds like you have a leak, what i would do is by pass the heater core by looping the hoses
w/ a piece of pipe or what not and see if it still does it, have you pulled your dip stick
to see if theres any coolant/ oil mix?
Old 02-04-2006, 02:49 PM
BushDude
1st Gear Member

Sounds like the heater core.
If it is it is a PITA.

Check the AntiFreeze level to see if you are loosing any. Check the floor inside on the passenger side to see if it is wet with a sweet smelling, shiney looking liquid (antifreeze).

You may also want to look against the firewall where two heater hoses connect. Sometimes it is not actually the heater core but the necks where the hoses connect.

I have heard people say you can weld them in place. I never have been so lucky. I have put two in my Expedition and 1 in my 90 mustang. It is a royal PITA. The dealer wanted $1100 for the EXPY.

Good Luck

I like Marx91's idea...I live in MD where heat is frigging needed. This crap never happens in the summer when you don't need the heat.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:54 PM
mustangman1

it sounds like you have a leak, what i would do is by pass the heater core by looping the hoses
w/ a piece of pipe or what not and see if it still does it, have you pulled your dip stick
to see if theres any coolant/ oil mix?
thanks for the idea (ill try that), so if i loop the hoses can i leave the friewall side open? and no i havent checked the dip stick yet
ORIGINAL: BushDude

Sounds like the heater core.
If it is it is a PITA.

Check the AntiFreeze level to see if you are loosing any. Check the floor inside on the passenger side to see if it is wet with a sweet smelling, shiney looking liquid (antifreeze).

You may also want to look against the firewall where two heater hoses connect. Sometimes it is not actually the heater core but the necks where the hoses connect.

I have heard people say you can weld them in place. I never have been so lucky. I have put two in my Expedition and 1 in my 90 mustang. It is a royal PITA. The dealer wanted $1100 for the EXPY.

Good Luck

I like Marx91's idea...I live in MD where heat is frigging needed. This crap never happens in the summer when you don't need the heat.
well i am loosing coolant everytime i drive it but i havent seen any on the floor, and im in Ca. so im not in too much of need for heat i just need the car to get to school
Old 02-04-2006, 10:37 PM
mustangman1

ok i found out where it's coming from! the hose that runs from the right side of heater core (standing in front of car) to the bottom "hose outlet" (from the motor) ....can anyone tell me what that hose would be called (so i can goto autozone and get a new one) and the bottom out let....what does that run to/come from....thanks for all the help so far, i just need a lil more!
Old 02-04-2006, 11:16 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

if its a leak then tighten the clamp.

if the hose is sliced or cut or even burnt, then replace it otherwise don't bother because thats not your problem.

sounds like your heater core **** the bed. cheap part but labor intensive.

cost me $50 for the one in my 88 monte carlo. took my dad a few days to get everything unhooked and install the new one.

i personaly wouldn't drive the car with it leaking coolant. just another problem waiting to happen IMO

also since you live in CA why not just use water? i used water in my car last summer and I live in MA heh
Old 02-04-2006, 11:36 PM
mustangman1

ORIGINAL: lookinforastang

if its a leak then tighten the clamp.

if the hose is sliced or cut or even burnt, then replace it otherwise don't bother because thats not your problem.

sounds like your heater core **** the bed. cheap part but labor intensive.

cost me $50 for the one in my 88 monte carlo. took my dad a few days to get everything unhooked and install the new one.

i personaly wouldn't drive the car with it leaking coolant. just another problem waiting to happen IMO

also since you live in CA why not just use water? i used water in my car last summer and I live in MA heh
it looks like a hose leak but i did tighten it down so i think the hose needs to be replaced, anyone know the name or part# of the hose? and what do you mean: "sounds like your heater core **** the bed" if it's my heater core what would happen if i dont replace it?? (can i just not use heat?)....and isnt just water bad for the cooling? i mean i leak almost all of it out when i drive
Old 02-05-2006, 12:27 AM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

then stop driving it.

you tightened the clamp as hard as you could and it still leaks (near the clamp) ?

heater core dosnt appear to be your problem but i wouldn't eliminate it completely. the heater core on my monte carlo crapped on me while i was flying down the highway. coolant was POURING onto my passenger floor and burning anything in its path and the entire car filled with smoke withen seconds. I couldn't see outside the windshield so I had to roll down my window and peak my head out to see if i was about to hit something or someone.

All coolant is, is water with special additives to prevent it from freezing (aka "Anti Freeze" or "Coolant".. samething). If you see no temperatures below 32 degrees fahrenhiet, I don't see why you can't use water.

Starving the engine of coolant could cause overheating. Like I said, I would NOT drive the vehicle untill the problem is addressed.

All that coolant leaking onto your engine parts is not good either, thats why it is steaming.

Quick Reply: white smoke by my firewall help!! update!!