5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

BBK SSI Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 09:57 AM
md66948
1st Gear Member

Default BBK SSI Intake Question

Has anyone seen a third party evaluation of the BBK SSI Intake?

I am looking at putting a new intake on my 347 stroker. I would like to see a test between the BBK SSI and other intakes. Right now I am leaning towards the Performer II. I am putting this into a 95 GT.

I also plan to install new AFR 185s, MSD, new throttle body, and headers. My MAF is 70cfm with 24 lb injectors. The cam is a custom ground by the builder. I do have a spec sheet on the cam from crane cams.

Please let me know if any has seen any tests on the BBK SSI intake.

Thank You,

Dane
Wynnewood, PA
danermarley@aol.com
Old 02-05-2006, 01:40 PM
hatingyou
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: BBK SSI Intake Question

The only test i've seen was in either MM&FF or 5.0M&SF and it did about as well as the GT-40 and Cobra intakes (think it did better in certain areas and worse than them in others). The Performer II, Trick Flow Track Heat, and System Max (whatever the name was) all did better than it in about every area if I remember correctly.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:39 PM
promustanperformance
2nd Gear Member

Hi,

The BBK SSI can be considered the GT-40 of the 21st century. It's a great all-around intake manifold, with solid torque down low and high horsepower up top. If you are planning on putting a set of heads on your motor at the same time, you should consider RHS 180s or 200s. AFR set the norm several years ago, but now RHS is leading the pack with more power right out of the box. To decide which intake manifold to go with would depend on the heads you go with. If you want to build a high-revving motor then go with the RHS 200s with the RPM II manifold. If you want to make awesome horsepower but still drive your car every day, go with a set of RHS 180s and the GT-40 manifold. Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll be glad to help you with your project. Hope to hear from you soon
Old 02-05-2006, 02:57 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: promustanperformance

AFR set the norm several years ago, but now RHS is leading the pack with more power right out of the box.
No offense, but that really sounds like a salesman pitch. Do you have any numbers to back that? I'm asking because I have a local contact who is a dealer for RHS heads and I've seen them. They are very inexpensive (for what I can get them for) and I've been seriously considering them primarily just based on the price for a set. Comparing a RHS 180 with a 2.02" valve with an AFR 165 would be a little unfair to me and I thought they were a little down compared to a AFR 185 with the same valve size and within 5cc runner volume. But I can get them at about 40% the cost of the AFRs.

Anyway, back on topic... The BBK SSI is a pretty intake much like the GT40. But like the GT40, they are behind almost all the other major brands. For a 347, stick with an Edelbrock, TFS or Holley.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:01 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

but if u do still decide to get the bbk ssi u can't use ur strut tower bar and i have also heard that u have to have a cowl hood because it won't fit under the stocker
Old 02-05-2006, 03:04 PM
promustanperformance
2nd Gear Member

Send me an e-mail and I will send you some comparison data. Whereabouts are you located? The RHS bare heads are very competitively priced, especially if you consider the Iron version. RHS 180s are on the same level as the 165 AFR. Please remember, there is more to consider than just the runner volumes, such as chamber size and valve location.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:16 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: promustanperformance

Send me an e-mail and I will send you some comparison data. Whereabouts are you located? The RHS bare heads are very competitively priced, especially if you consider the Iron version. RHS 180s are on the same level as the 165 AFR. Please remember, there is more to consider than just the runner volumes, such as chamber size and valve location.
lets not forget about flow volume and port velocities
Old 02-05-2006, 03:17 PM
promustanperformance
2nd Gear Member

If this is a 94-95 car, you will require an aftermarket strut tower brace, and most likely require an aftermarket hood, if you go with the BBK SSI
Old 02-05-2006, 03:21 PM
promustanperformance
2nd Gear Member

Yes, with everything aside, flow numbers tell a large portion of the story. RHS outflows the competition, especially at lower lift.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

you will need a cowl hood with that intake, they do not make a strut brace when using that intake, at least i have not seen one. i would get the afr's over the other heads, and i would get somthing like the edlebrock or trick flow intake for more down low power, if you are looking for high rpms get a holley but you will loose a lil from idle to about 1500. depending on the cam you use

Quick Reply: BBK SSI Intake Question