MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Exhaust pops and I smell carbon monoxide after routine maintnance (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/93738-exhaust-pops-and-i-smell-carbon-monoxide-after-routine-maintnance.html)

blk95snake 02-05-2006 05:01 PM

Exhaust pops and I smell carbon monoxide after routine maintnance

My 94 cobra is poping (exhaust) back by the mufflers after a struggle to replace the PCV valve without leaking. The car is idling good now, but the exhaust pops and smells. Sort of like I put a different cam in it. Any ideas? An exhaust leak seems too convienent since it was running fine before I replaced the valve and oil separator.

mcfomco 02-05-2006 10:35 PM

RE: Exhaust pops and I smell carbon monoxide after routine maintnance

not sure why it pops but if you can smell cardon monoxide your superman or something it is not detectable to humans[sm=hail.gif]

SpecterGT260 02-05-2006 10:37 PM

ORIGINAL: mcfomco

not sure why it pops but if you can smell cardon monoxide your superman or something it is not detectable to humans[sm=hail.gif]
[>:] durnit, i wanted to say that... so..... +1

kartracer55 02-05-2006 11:15 PM

YEAH WHAT HE SAID! If you can smell it it probably isnt carbon monoxide... the only way to test it out is to grab your ipod, start your car in the garage, close the garage door, lean the seat back and just relax for a while:eek:

Jim

blk95snake 02-06-2006 08:20 PM

I'm sorry I'm not a scientist, but you guys should have gotten the point that I smelled something. Thanks for not even attempting to help. You guys are the reasons why I try to stick with stangnet.

StangStang 02-06-2006 08:35 PM

hey man, thats how it works on this site trust me i know how you feel. a bunch of idiots hop on here and give people crap because they dont know the answer, let it slide and just keep drilling people for info.
If the problem started after you did somthing, you should go over every step that you did to replace that pcv valve. On my dads 351 he left the pcv valve tube off and started it and the engine was running like crap.
If the engine is running differently which you say it is, you are probably smelling a rich exhaust, yes it is true you cant smell carbon monoxide, but you can smell regular exhaust which has a by product of carbon monoxide, so in essence you know your breathing in carbon monoxide, you just cant tell how much:) email me with some more info on this problem and i will see what i can do to help you.