5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

MAF Screen

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Low_5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default MAF Screen

What does the screen on the MAF sensor do..if i were to get rid of it would it make any difference?
Old 02-06-2006, 01:54 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MAF Screen

i beleive it would make you run lean.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Low_5.0
2nd Gear Member

anyone else??
Old 02-06-2006, 11:46 AM
badtzmaru
4th Gear Member

The maf converts the amount of air drawn into the engine into a voltage signal. The ecm needs to know intake air volume to calculate engine load. This is necessary to determine how much fuel to inject, when to ignite the cylinder, and whent to shift the transmission.
There are different types of MAF's. the vane air flow meter and the karmen vortex are two older styles of air flow and the new one is the Mass air flow sensor (MAF).

All of this information was powered by google

Old 02-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

i wouldnt get rid of it, i have the speed density version, 88 gt. i dont have the mass air flow and im getting close to getting it, your car seems to run better with it, so i wouldnt remove it.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:22 PM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

Disregard all the above posts, they are WRONG, the screen is there as a filter, incase debris get by the air filter. No It will not effect your car running lean or rich. Take that screen out, its basicly causing you too loose a very small amount of air flow and its also causing turblance in the air which is slowing down the air flow, its probally worth about 1hp. I cant believe there is 4 posts and no one answered his question or answered it RIGHT...
Old 02-06-2006, 01:29 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

There are no mods listed so I don't know where we are starting from. In stock form, it most likely will make no difference with removing it. If you have mods, and have done any tuning with the screen in, you will need to retune because the screen can effect the air flow and what the mass air meter "sees" as air flow.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:55 PM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

when i still had the straw sized stock maf sensor i removed the screen and my car ran fine.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:06 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 90Mustangfan

Disregard all the above posts, they are WRONG, the screen is there as a filter, incase debris get by the air filter. No It will not effect your car running lean or rich. Take that screen out, its basicly causing you too loose a very small amount of air flow and its also causing turblance in the air which is slowing down the air flow, its probally worth about 1hp. I cant believe there is 4 posts and no one answered his question or answered it RIGHT...
your answer is wrong as well. it is not a filter. it is meant to "straighten" the air molecules before passing the sensor. it will affect the accuaracy of the air count and therefore driveablitiy....in other words don't take it out for the .5 hp you may get

btw its called a honeycomb
Old 02-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Djs94stang
3rd Gear Member

Thank you turbostang. I was just going to post the same thing. It is as course as a window screen....no way is it going to catch debris small enough to protect the engine. The screen is there to slow down and straighten the flow into the MAF chamber. Think about the flow through a pipe with bends in it...it is not uniform. There may be more flow in one cross sectional area. If this were the case the MAF would not be able to read the flow correctly. The higher the velocity the more likely that the flow pattern will be uneven. Leave the screen intact.

Quick Reply: MAF Screen