MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   How hard is replacing intake manifold gaskets? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/94028-how-hard-is-replacing-intake-manifold-gaskets.html)

blk95snake 02-06-2006 08:28 PM

How hard is replacing intake manifold gaskets?

My cars in the shop right now and there telling me I have a vacuum leak. If it turns out to be from the upper or lower intake how hard is it to replace the gaskets? I've done it on a carbed 289, but the fuel rails and extra stuff looks more complicated. Penny for your thoughts.....

Crazyfast50stang 02-06-2006 08:31 PM

RE: How hard is replacing intake manifold gaskets?

^^??? Whats his name?

hookandpull 02-06-2006 08:31 PM

what kind of car is it?

Crazyfast50stang 02-06-2006 08:33 PM

It shouldnt be to bad just label everything and make sure everything looks like it should when your done. Take digital pics if you have to so you can look at them and say HEY THAT GOES THERE. Get your U/L port and polished while your at it :D I'm jk unless you can then you should. 3 hours worth of work if you work slowly and precisely.

hookandpull 02-06-2006 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: blk95snake

My cars in the shop right now and there telling me I have a vacuum leak. If it turns out to be from the upper or lower intake how hard is it to replace the gaskets? I've done it on a carbed 289, but the fuel rails and extra stuff looks more complicated. Penny for your thoughts.....

when it comes to disconnecting your fuel rail there are two bolts on each side of the lower intake that hold into place. rail is basically pressed on to the injectors just be really care full when disconnecting the rail from the injectors. when the rail is disconnected you can basically bend it out of the way of the lower intake. You do all this after you take the upper intake off of course. Keep track of the vacuum lines.

marx91 02-06-2006 08:50 PM

when your pulling the fuel rails off the injectors keep a watch
of your O rings, sometime the injectors will pull out too
if you break one and dont know it you'll have fuel leak and have to tear it all apart again

hookandpull 02-06-2006 08:59 PM

ORIGINAL: marx91

when your pulling the fuel rails off the injectors keep a watch
of your O rings, sometime the injectors will pull out too
if you break one and dont know it you'll have fuel leak and have to tear it all apart again

good call.... A set of O rings only cost about four bucks

Black Snake 02-06-2006 09:32 PM

Its real simple to do it. Ive done it too many times. You dont have to take the injectors off if all your doing is replacing the gaskets. Just lift it high enough to slip in the gaskets. Theres a little hook like thing that lines it up for you. Just make sure your torque it right.

hookandpull 02-06-2006 09:38 PM

Damn it!!! and all those times I took it completely apart. I guess its good that I took it completely apart because I check everything else out as I am doing it.

ZachW04Stang 02-06-2006 11:18 PM

The vacuum leak maybe from your injector o rings. I wasn't smelling fuel or anything but when I sprayed my #1 injector with car cleaner it definitly was the problem. Although I would still replace the lower intake gaskets while I had everything off.