5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

To Juice or not to Juice

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 11:00 AM
rsw007
4th Gear Member

Default RE: To Juice or not to Juice

100shot or less and good tune on dynoand dont spray less than 3000rpms and you wont have any problems. i prefer wet.
my car has 149,000miles on it and a 90shot
Old 02-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

some ppl in this thread giving false info

for a stock motor 100 shot is easy all day long. you can run a 150 shot but need to upgrade the fuel system.

the age of the motor doesnt matter. motors dont know years they know wear

wet shot is more dangerous then a dry shot unless you are running a plate.
efi intakes of any sort arent meant to flow fuel you can get puddling and get a back fire

wet is more dangerous if you run out of fuel then you pump all nitrous into the motor and then run lean
wet if you run out of nitrous you will dump fuel into the motor and flood it

dry if you run out of nitrous motor just goes back to stock. it uses vaccum to richen fuel but does rely off the injectors to add the additonal fuel. so fuel sysytem has to be up to par

you can run a 75 shot all day long and not worry about timing. use 93 octane and 14* timing with plugs that arent platinum and youll be fine. if you go 100 shot then go about 12* or 11* timing
for 125 shot use about 10* timing
for 150 shot use about 8* timing

just make sure the fuel system is up to par

also with shots higher then 100 i would be concernd about using a colder plug anything shot before then i wouldnt

ppl that come in here saying about nitrous caused this motor to blow up is full of ****. it was the user who did it. chances are the user didnt know what they were doing. and alot of chances its a wet shot that caused it

zex dry shot 75 shot pills gained me 1.2 seconds in ET and a gain of 10mph

for the buck you cant beat it but after a while it gets pricey if you race alot

tell me anywhere in modding i gain 75more HP and knock off 1.2 seconds and gain 8-10 mph for 500 bucks?
Old 02-12-2006, 01:01 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

yeah N2O is the best bang for the buck, i know someone who had the zex dry kit 75 shot
and never had any problems, i also knew another guy w/a wet NOS kit and it puddled
in the intake after a run and when he went to start the car the intake blew into pieces
but like most n20 accidents it is the users fault, its something you have to be on top of w/ a wet kit
Old 02-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quik

for a stock motor 100 shot is easy all day long. you can run a 150 shot but need to upgrade the fuel system.

efi intakes of any sort arent meant to flow fuel you can get puddling and get a back fire

wet is more dangerous if you run out of fuel then you pump all nitrous into the motor and then run lean

dry if you run out of nitrous motor just goes back to stock. it uses vaccum to richen fuel but does rely off the injectors to add the additonal fuel. so fuel sysytem has to be up to par

you can run a 75 shot all day long and not worry about timing. use 93 octane and 14* timing with plugs that arent platinum and youll be fine. if you go 100 shot then go about 12* or 11* timing

also with shots higher then 100 i would be concernd about using a colder plug anything shot before then i wouldnt

ppl that come in here saying about nitrous caused this motor to blow up is full of ****. it was the user who did it. chances are the user didnt know what they were doing. and alot of chances its a wet shot that caused it

tell me anywhere in modding i gain 75more HP and knock off 1.2 seconds and gain 8-10 mph for 500 bucks?
I'll say I don't like some of your posts but this one is accurate.
Listen to quik here.
The people above bashing are just clueless
Old 02-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Obsol3te

I'll say I don't like some of your posts but this one is accurate.
Listen to quik here.
The people above bashing are just clueless
thanks i guess just speaking from experience and knowledge. yep alot of my posts come off like a arsehole but majority of the time there is useful info in the readings
Old 02-12-2006, 02:21 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

+1 on this, but don't blame the wet kit. That is still user error to me. I have over half a dozen friends that spray 175-250 through a nozzle every weekend. I've personally gone as high as 250hp through a nozzle and only had one issue which was user error (someone turned my nozzle sideways under the hood).

Another interesting point of view from my experience is I've seen more fuel distribution problems with wet kits from specific intakes (stock, Cobra and GT40). I've never seen the problems from Edelbrock or TFS intakes. I don't know why, but that's the truth.

And I've seen more issues with dry kits than I have with wet kits. It's always user error, not the kit's fault. I commonly see new nitrous users put a dry kit on (for example) a 300rwhp car with 24lb injectors. The injectors are almost maxed out N/A and can't keep up with the demands of an additional 75-100hp. That's the most common problem I've seen. If used properly a dry kit should be safer, but not the the point where I would ever hesitate using a wet kit.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FullAuto

And I've seen more issues with dry kits than I have with wet kits. It's always user error, not the kit's fault. I commonly see new nitrous users put a dry kit on (for example) a 300rwhp car with 24lb injectors. The injectors are almost maxed out N/A and can't keep up with the demands of an additional 75-100hp. That's the most common problem I've seen. If used properly a dry kit should be safer, but not the the point where I would ever hesitate using a wet kit.
That's currently what I'm doing.
It's do-able, safely.
Get yourself an Adjustable FPR
Old 02-12-2006, 02:38 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

This is a good thread with some good info. That said, if you don't have any first hang experiance with nitrious please keep your mouths shut!. Most of the false information and myths that surround the use nitrious stem from part time wanna be racers who have a buddy who blew up thier car because they were dumb, so please if you don't HAVE AT LEAST SOME first hand experiance, shut up and read, you might just learn somthing.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Steeda1716
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys for all the helpful information,Now this would be my first time ever using nitirous and i want to use the safest one they make which i think would be the dry shot.So would i have to change anything injectors ect,if i spray a 75-100 shot on a stock engine what would i need to buy to make this possible?

Sorry im a newb in the nitrious world
Old 02-12-2006, 04:18 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

On a totally stock motor, I would upgrade injectors and fuel pump at the minimum. You could possibly get away with it on stock pump. But in order to run 100fwhp additional on 19s, you'd have to crank the fuel pressure quite a bit. I'd feel better knowing my fuel system was not being pushed to the edge.

Quick Reply: To Juice or not to Juice