5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

No longer a concern thanks all. (Update)(wooooohoooooo)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 11:04 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

Default No longer a concern thanks all. (Update)(wooooohoooooo)

Here it goes and i konw some of you are going to say what a moron but i was in a hurry. My advise to all i do not get into a hurry when working on vehicles it will bite you in the *ss. This is a perfect example of what not to do. I was the one the posted the question about the Compcams Polymer intake with the rough idle concern. Ok i finally firgured out the problem with the idle and laoding up.
1)no leaks around base up intake or center joint intake is 2 pieces.
2)where the egr and tb bolt to intake at the half seam there was a ridge at screw boss holding egr from setting flush and sealing.
3)contacted compcams over the issue and tech support pulled intake from self and advise to file ridge off and was going to contact the engineer team about the issue.
4) It wasnt loading up it was leaning out and bad pulled the plugs out of it and was white as paper.

Now i have a all new problem. Like a dumb*ss I put a rag inside the intake to block shaveing from intake going into the intake. Filed eveything down smooth test fit all my peices and reassembled. Ok now the dumb*ss move what step did i forget? I left the rag inside the intake and started the car. Now it runs like crap and gotta remove top section of engine to get my rag back. It sucked it down into the cylinder head I cannot get to it through the lower intake. So now i have to remove it . Here is the question part of this.

Do you think it is possible to bend any valves or do you think the rag isnt hard enough?
I have no idea how much actually got into cylinder yet going to find out tomorrow. Hopefully i can get it out and everything will be ok.
Just looking for opinions really on wether i should expect bent valves or not. Please what do you think about the valves.

Also its ok if you laugh at me over this it was a very stupid mistake and i deserve it. lol

**I got the rag out of the cylinder head thanks to the use of a bore scope and those little flexible grabber things. Worked the puzzle of torn pieces and fell i got it all thank god. still havent started it up yet though thats a task for tomorrow. Wish me luck...

******Its alive with no damage to any other componets********
Old 02-16-2006, 11:13 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New concern please advise.

Come on I see you people reading it i need a reply here work with me on this
Old 02-16-2006, 11:14 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

The rag would not bend the valve but what could happen is the rag could keep the valve from closing and allow the piston to hit the valve.

I won't laugh or give you a hard time, we all do something dumb every now and then. I admire that you admitted it and posted about it.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:15 PM
MidnightBlue5.0
2nd Gear Member

I've heard a few storys like that happening.. I don't remember of anything getting messed up, but I'm not really sure. Hopefully you get lucky and nothing went wrong.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:21 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

Yeah me too and thanks for the input. I just still cannot beleive i did something so stupid. I guess i just wanted to see if it fixed my problem with idle and running lean and forgot about the rags. I feel like a complete moron right now over it but i gotta try to laugh at myself for doing it. And to think i do his for a living at a dodge dealership. So look out if you drive a Dodge and come to Knoxville Tn.
Better hope you dont break down it might be me working on it LOL
Old 02-16-2006, 11:51 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

bump
Old 02-17-2006, 12:48 AM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

bump bump
Old 02-18-2006, 08:51 AM
preciousroy
2nd Gear Member

what you should do is run the car shortly and do an oil change. i work at a ford dealership and we had a guy that left a rag in a windstar engine, ran fine but oil pressure dropped halfway into roadtest. got it back to the shop and found rag fibers clogged up pickup screen, cleaned it out, gave to customer, came back 2 days later clogged again. this car ran a while with the rag in it so it was pretty much disintegrated, dont know how long yours ran but watch that oil pressure!
Old 02-18-2006, 02:24 PM
89chatofive0
2nd Gear Member

Not Burgin Dodge is it?
Old 02-18-2006, 02:29 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Wow man. All I can say is sorry that you had to go through that. I can't laugh at you because I do that kinda sh*t all the time. I don't even know what to tell you about the car. I hope everything works out for you.

Quick Reply: No longer a concern thanks all. (Update)(wooooohoooooo)