5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Sorting through the BS of buying a 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 08:07 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Sorting through the BS of buying a 5.0

ORIGINAL: BaldGeorge

Well there was one red flag that came up when I was talking to the guy on the phone. He told me it was a 10 second car. At the time I figured he was exxagerating about it like most people do. Even when I had the FE rebuilt right and got all the issues sorted out it ran a best of 12.90. That was with 4.11 gears. Most of the time it was a mid 13 second car. FE's aren't known for wrapping up quick. I'm sure with an automatic it could have run faster.

Anyway, on the 5.0 Fox body Mustangs. What did you look for when you bought one? Did you find it in the paper or word of mouth? Anybody ever pull one out of a salvage yard and go to work on it? When I did my 64 1/2 I started with a shell, title, and a 289 sitting where the seats used to be. An experience I'd not care to repeat. If a car is complete then how easy is it to work on and diagnose? I'm still in the world of carburetors on most of my stuff. From what I understand the older OBD 1 system is more forgiving and easier to manage than the OBD 2 stuff. True or false? I have a Snap On scanner that I use to work on my 02 F-250 and my 99 Lightning (don't get too excited, bought it rolled over and wrecked, getting a rebuilt title on it if it ever gets done) will it work on a 5.0 Mustang?
I was just out cruising around w/ a friend one night and saw it sittng on a used car lot. Went in, drove it, made the deal. The guy brought it buy my work so I could give it a good once over. Done deal. Had it since 94. They are very easy cars to work on and maintain. Although the earlier eec system isn't as friendly as the obd2's, they are managable. You may need some older software for your scanner depending what you already have. You can't get a data stream out of a foxbody, only the codes. As far as the earlier computors, they are harder to work with than the obd2's. Much more info is available through the newer model years. You can actually see live readings on the scanner of all the sensors where as on the pre obd2 you cannot.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:09 PM
BaldGeorge
1st Gear Member

What years are OBD 2?
Old 02-19-2006, 08:15 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

What years are OBD 2?
95 or 6 and newer, not sure off the top of my head.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:17 PM
BaldGeorge
1st Gear Member

So all Fox body cars are OBD 1? The only body style I dislike more than the 94-04 Mustang is the Mustang II. So unless I decide to buy an 05 or 06 looks like it'll be OBD 1 for me.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:21 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

So all Fox body cars are OBD 1? The only body style I dislike more than the 94-04 Mustang is the Mustang II. So unless I decide to buy an 05 or 06 looks like it'll be OBD 1 for me.
LOL!!! Yeah, you got it. Mine has rarely had any comutor problems over the years. I think I got lucky. Plut it's been maintained very well over the years so I'm sure that has alot to do with it.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:31 PM
1FUN5.0
2nd Gear Member

Hey Blady I just bought my 90 vert off of e-bay. FOr the most part the car was what he said. However the pics posted I believe to be from months and months ago as the paint looked fresh in them, but when the car got here it was on the faded side. Espically the hood. KBB said that should be worth about 2200 to 2300 however I paid way more than that for the car. I think I paid too much, but in the end it was what I wanted, vert, 5-speed, unmolested car. This way I can make it my own. I even had an outside person who was a fla state inspector go look at the car and report back to me. He told me what was wrong so I knew what it needed (which wasn't much). One of the fuel injectors was leaking and when the inspector reported it, The guy I was buying the car from did replace it immediatly.

I bought my previous play car from e-bay and over all the guy was very very truthful. I knew what I was getting myself into (sorta) anyway I sold it and bought the mustang I have now.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:13 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

it took me 2 months of looking to find my car. you just have to find a person that is trying to get rid of the car, not make money off it. the guy i bought mine from had a baby coming and needed the money. it was a perfect oppertunity for me. i thought i would never get one... it just takes time. dont jump into anything that seems a little fishy. remember, your doing the seller a favor by buying the car so dont let him give you a hard time. i walked away from 6 different cars before i got mine. GOOD SPOTS TO LOOK AT: rust on the rocker panels, a loose driver seat (from hard launches and shifts), loosened torque boxes(tack welds coming loose), hard to get into 2nd gear, and any signs of the body twisting. sorry im rambling on, but i just went through this process in the past few months. just dont give up and your car will come up sooner or later!
Old 02-19-2006, 09:17 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Couple year model tips:

Stick with '89 or newer since they have Mass Air already.
'90 and newer will have airbags if thats a big deal for you.
'90 and newer also has little bit better interior in my opinion too.

If you can find one that's had 5 lug conversion done
and all disk brakes thats a plus.
Thats one of the more expensive up-grades that doesnt really add any "fun"
Old 02-19-2006, 10:29 PM
BaldGeorge
1st Gear Member

Damn you guys are quick and helpful. Impressive group of Mustangphiles here. Thanks for the tip on the drivers seat, I hadn't thought of that. Air bags aren't a big deal. I can live with it. So if I narrow my search to a 90-93 I'll get a good interior and MAF. Guess I'll just have to bide my time and expand my search. Have truck, have trailer, will travel. LOL. Any idea on production numbers for a 90-93 5.0 hatchback GT with a 5 speed? Is this like a 1 in 10,000 car? Ever notice that when you're looking for one car you find a bunch of the opposite? Ever since I started hitting the lots looking for a Fox I see GM F-bodies for sale everywhere. All I own is FoMoCo. Not interested in the other garbage out there.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:35 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

B GEORGE YOU MIGHT WANT TO LOOK AT A 93 COBRA MUSTANG BEFORE YOU BUY . THEY ARE STILL SOME OF THESE AROUND & COULD FIT IN YOUR PRICE RANGE IF YOU FIND ONE NEEDING REPAIR. THEY ARE MORE VALUABLE THAN THE GT. TAKE YOUR TIME. GOOD LUCK.

Quick Reply: Sorting through the BS of buying a 5.0