5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I know this question is asked alot but....

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 01:44 AM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

Default I know this question is asked alot but....

I am not much on the Ford EFI meaning i havent messed with them that much. I have a question concerning the idle.

On my car its an 86 converted to MAF. I fixed the problem with the intake leaking and solved the rough idle and loading up problem.
But now if you come to red light sometimes it will idle at 750 rpms and the next red light might be 1500 rpms. The car is a manual so its not to hard to control just dont like the high idle. I tried this one the way home form work today and it seemed to help but its a pain to do and kinda retarded to have to do it to get it to idle correct, i can turn the car off and restart and its back to normal around 700-750 rpms. Would i tbe safe to say its definately the iac motor or am i leaning in the wrong direction? The only thing i have changed from before when it would idle a constant rpm is fixed a vacum leak and bumped the timing a little. Which the timing is a little more than the car likes but i plan on fixing that tomorrow. Just wanna know if leaning toward the iac is correct or should i look at something else?

***I think the iac when i shut the car off and restart it the iac is resetting itself allowing it to idle normal. This is why i lean toward it as problem area.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:58 AM
4strokes2freedom

Default RE: I know this question is asked alot but....

Sounds like the throttle position sensor to me. Disconnect the battery and use a multimeter on the pins on the tps. Check both ways with the multimeter because there is a diode in the tps, should give some resistance. If it indicates an open both ways it's no good. This is a resistance check btw. You can pull your iac off and clean it, usually that's all that's wrong with them.
Rob
Old 02-21-2006, 02:06 AM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

Ok what do you mean check it both ways?

I know how to do resistance test but are you saying i need to check the sensor for open circuit between the green and black, and green and red
Old 02-21-2006, 02:20 AM
4strokes2freedom

It's a diode which means it only passes currect one way. I know there's 3 prongs there, I just can't remember which two you check across. What I meant by both ways is swap the leads positive and negative between each 2 prongs. Just check continuity between all of them both ways swapping the leads. If you don't get a resistance reading it's no good. If you do, something around 10 ohms, it should be okay. You can also check it with the battery connected, check for a voltage as you open the throttle body, it should increase smoothly.
Rob
Old 02-21-2006, 06:08 AM
carcrazy
1st Gear Member

i believe that its the green and black to check the TPS. And make sure theres no oil on your MAF sensor from the air filter
Old 02-21-2006, 09:26 AM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

bump any other suggestions before i go off to work??
Old 02-21-2006, 10:09 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

http://geocities.com/stanglx2002/tech

Go to Idle Problem Fix
Old 02-21-2006, 11:01 AM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Stanglx2002
Old 02-21-2006, 12:58 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

anytime I keep on adding more and more tech articles as I find them so i hope this page helps. Leave a message in my guestbook something about my car
Old 02-21-2006, 01:23 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

Well i think i figured it out .. The damn polymer intake is still leaking where the throttle body and egr bolts up. Im on the verge of getting a BFH and killing it...

Quick Reply: I know this question is asked alot but....