5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Found a car, is it a good deal?

Old 02-21-2006, 06:27 PM
BaldGeorge
1st Gear Member

Default Found a car, is it a good deal?

I found a car. It's a 1986 with a 93 front clip. It has t-tops, 5.0 HO, and a 5 speed. Body is super straight but theres solvent pop and orange peel everywhere. Whoever painted it needs more practice. That and it's a metal flake purple. Fugly. Engine has been breathed on but it sounds mean as hell. According to the receipts it's a Ford racing 347 shortblock with Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads, Trick Flow Track Heat cam (221/225 intake/exhaust .499/.510 lift intake/exhaust) full roller valvetrain, gear drive instead of chain, Trick Flow Track Heat intake, 75mm throttle body, high flow MAF with cold air intake, full MSD ignition, high capacity/high volume oiling system, aluminum radiator, and a full Aeromotive fuel system with matched 30lb injectors. The engine is controlled by an AEM programmable computer. The transmission is a Cobra R Tremec HD with a Centerforce dual friction clutch. It has Currie 9 inch (5 lug conversion) with Cobra R disc brakes on all 4 corners. Exhaust is BBK headers and X pipe, with Flows. It has a complete QA1 suspension front and rear and Cobra wheels. The interior has a good stereo, leather bucket seats (I think they're Corbeaus) and a Momo steering wheel. It's all black. Instrumentation is all stock and there is a rear seat delete kit. The owner of the car claimed 600 horse but hasn't had it on a dyno. Sounds a little high to me. Basically the car needs paint. I'm thinking of doing it in black like my 67, if I get it. The owner wants $15,800 for it. His mom is in the hospital and he needs money for medical bills. I'd feel guilty trying to talk him down. More than I want to pay but it's a really, really, well built car. The engine has about 15,000 miles on since it was installed. It comes with all the reciepts as proof of whats in the car. What do you guys think? Is this a good car to get or has it been modified too much? What about the price? All feedback appreciated.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:31 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Found a car, is it a good deal?

Well, Im sure its a beast a$$ car but 600hp is pushing it. Also, personally I wouldnt pay 15K for that car but I believe that it has atleast 15k into it. Who installed everything?
Old 02-21-2006, 06:33 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Thats way to expensive in IMHO. I wouldn't pay more then 7000-8000 because the body sounds like it needs stripped and repainted. I would pass.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:34 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

^^ I would go a little bit higher than that but I wouldnt go over 9,500. Thats a VERY expensive fox body.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:43 PM
BaldGeorge
1st Gear Member

MTS Performance Solutions in OK did the work. They have a reputation for doing excellent, top shelf work so I'm sure it's built right. As far as the paint goes, I checked for bondo and there is none. Paint would run me $500ish and it would take me about a week to do it right. I'd probably 220 it, seal it, primer it, and spray it. They took the body down to metal when they repainted it (saw the pics) so theres not a lot of paint build up to worry about. So if I came back with $9500 cash and told him to take it or leave it then that would be a fair offer? This is the first t-top Fox I've seen. Pretty cool car. What he was thinking when it came to the paint... Fox's around here are expensive. This is a nice car though, damn thing better appreciate.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the car still does have air conditioning and a vacuum canister for the brakes. Also still has power steering.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:06 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

I'd pass on somethin lke that. You don't know where it's been or by who. Too heavily modded also. Buy somethin for alot less and mod it yourself. Any pics of this thing?
Old 02-21-2006, 07:08 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

G, what about somethin like this

Old 02-21-2006, 07:10 PM
BaldGeorge
1st Gear Member

Sorry no pics. I gotta get one on my kids on this digital camera thing. My son was supposed to take some pictures of my 64 1/2 and 67 and put them on the bottom of my posts like what you have. 87 GT This is more work than I want to do with the Lightning, Merc, and Galaxie waiting for resto. But the price is decent.

Edit: Thats a good looking car. I'd probably change the color though. Whats the interior look like?
Old 02-21-2006, 07:18 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: BaldGeorge

Sorry no pics. I gotta get one on my kids on this digital camera thing. My son was supposed to take some pictures of my 64 1/2 and 67 and put them on the bottom of my posts like what you have. 87 GT This is more work than I want to do with the Lightning, Merc, and Galaxie waiting for resto. But the price is decent.

Edit: Thats a good looking car. I'd probably change the color though. Whats the interior look like?
It's gray I think. I can get more pics if needed. Over all, it's in pretty good shape.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:29 PM
BaldGeorge
1st Gear Member

Where is it and how much? Also on the t-top with the 347. Whats a realistic horsepower rating for that car? Finally, thats the first t-top I've seen. How common is it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Found a car, is it a good deal?