5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

fuseable link testn

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 02:35 PM
kallador

Default fuseable link testn

hey all im tryn to figure out a problem my nephew has with his 87gt, when he bought it for 2,500 it was very clean and fast i told him get a battery hold down unit so his battery dont short out something if it hits the hood. well low and behold he didnt take uncles advice lmao and his battery hit the underside of his hood, ok here is the problem with keys to ignition in my pocket and battery hooked up car trys to start ------> keys in pocket <------ yes car trys to start, when the ignition is on car starts but starter stays ingaged. now on my older cars when this happens usally the starter siliniod or starter itself is bad in the days before fuseable links in the harness. ok a friend of mine outta state told me to look into the fusable links i found these 2 digrams http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...ainHarness.gif http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...nks-ign-ac.gif . ok in the 1st digram i noticed #34 20gauge fuse link to starter relay. ok i disconnect the battery cabel from siliniod to starter hook pos battery cabel back up and car dont try to start i use a 6/12 volt probe wire tester and test the fire wall side of the 20 gauge fuselink and have power the probe lights up with keys in my pocket not in the ignition. would this be the cause of my problem wire comes from the starter relay to fuselink i test opposite side of fuselink and have power is this why my starter try's to ingauge when its hooked up and keys are in my pocket ????
Old 02-24-2006, 04:51 PM
rsw007
4th Gear Member

Default RE: fuseable link testn

so on silinoid batt cable is on one side and starter cable is on ther side correct? power should not go through starter silinoid until key is turned. 87 model had the old fat starter"1 wire" unless some one updated it to the 93up small starter"2 wire"
Old 02-24-2006, 05:55 PM
kallador

yes on silinoid fat starter cabel on 1 side battery on otherside along with 3 other hook ups from the main wireing harness, 1 fat wire to starter yes. i can start the car if i disconnect the wire to starter connect battery turn ignition on take the starter cabel and touch it to the starter silinoid car starts and no grinding noise from starter erea so ive ruled out the starter. i noticed a 20amp something that connects to the battery side of silinoid top side connects direct to silinoid there is a wht/blk strip wire from harness connects to bottom of this object. i thought maybe this was the cause but the ppl at the 1 ford dealership parts dept couldnt tell me wth it is because the oem #'s cant be read they said they need to see where it came off from the car. so i told them again it connects to the silinoid is this some kinda power relay ???
Old 02-24-2006, 07:26 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

i had a car do that before and it was just a bad solenoid
Old 02-24-2006, 07:47 PM
kallador

silinoid is new i'll post link to pics of the square 20amp item on the silinoid in a few
Old 02-24-2006, 08:00 PM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

What about the small wire to the small terminal on the solenoid? If you take it off, does the starter no longer engage? That's how it should be. When you take it off, check for +12V from it to a good ground. It should only have 12 volts when the ignition switch is in the START position. Never when in the RUN or the OFF positions. If it has voltage, there's either a problem in the ignition switch, or some wires shorted when it got hot.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:12 PM
kallador

if i have battery disconnected on pos side, i disconnect all the wires but big wire from bat and big wire to starter on silenoid then connect pos side of battery and car trys to start also this is with the keys in my pocket not anywhere near the ignition . i did pull the ignition outta the steering colume it didnt seem burnt and smelled ok not burnt either all the wires under the steering colume seemed fine. fuses arent nruned out all are fine. now if i just disconnect the wire to starter and all else is hooked up the car dont try to start of course i pulled power to starter, now i turn key on touch starter cabel to silenoid and car starts i remove cabel when car starts. all seems fine then car turns off at the key n/p, ok just went outside took 6/12 volt wire tester touched both terminals on the silenoid 1 at a time they both lite up the lite on the probe meaning the silenoid is hot right as i type this and car keys are in my pocket. ??? this has me confussed electrical and cars ive never really been good at but am learning lol pls help thx for any and all help i would really like to save my nephew the money a shop would cost
Old 02-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Check the solinoid next to the battery, if that small wire on top is making contact with somthing else then it just caould be a short. I would just retrace all your wires and replace both solinoids.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:26 PM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

If I understand you correctly and you have removed ALL of the small wires from the solenoid on the fender well and there is still 12V on the large terminal on the starter side, then the solenoid is toast. You may be able to tap on it and make it release once or twice, but it is not worth it. Cheap part, simply replace it.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:36 PM
kallador

ok i'll try another new silenoid ive had bad new 1's before i'll keep this thread updated so if any1 else experinces this problem they may find the answer

Quick Reply: fuseable link testn