5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

SPEC STG2 Clutch and Flywheel Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 01:55 AM
razarr69
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: SPEC STG2 Clutch and Flywheel Installed!

how hard was it to do the rear main seal? just lubing it up and tapping it in? approx. how long did it take you to do tha whole thing? i gotta do my rear main seal this spring.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:06 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

well im not really sure what to believe anymore, i was told i have a king cobra clutch by someone who prolly doesnt know. King cobra clutch advertises 10% less pedal effort than stock, which would basically be very light, and mine is definitely heavier than a stock clutch. Its not bad for street driving but if u get in a lot of stop and go it can be brutal.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:40 PM
1994sn95
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

well im not really sure what to believe anymore, i was told i have a king cobra clutch by someone who prolly doesnt know. King cobra clutch advertises 10% less pedal effort than stock, which would basically be very light, and mine is definitely heavier than a stock clutch. Its not bad for street driving but if u get in a lot of stop and go it can be brutal.
Do you have the stock cable and quadrant in it?? or is and adjustable cable and aluminum quadrant? If the cable had an adjuster on it u might be able to adjust it to make it a lil easier.. But before we changed my bros clutch, he still had the stock one in and his pedal definitely felt harder than my king cobra, so i would believe king cobra when they advertise less pedal effort. If yours is harder then stock then i dont know wat to tell u lol. Why do u want to change ur clutch anyway?? Does it slip at all?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:02 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

sounds more lik eyou have the ford racing heavy duty clutch not the king cobra
Old 03-02-2006, 01:48 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

as far as i know i have the stock cable and quandrant. My clutch is definitely not stock, we have a '95 Cobra convert in our showroom with like 4k miles and its clutch is way lighter than mine, like mine is way heavier, not even close. The reason I have to change my clutch is my rear main is leaking oil all over it and it really doesnt grab anymore, so now is a good time to upgrade clutch and fix a problem.

I am mainly confused b/c my friend said he got a king cobra in his fox and said it was extremely heavy, so something is not adding up to me. i hate cars sometimes, what a bitch.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:30 AM
brutal_gt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: razarr69

how hard was it to do the rear main seal? just lubing it up and tapping it in? approx. how long did it take you to do tha whole thing? i gotta do my rear main seal this spring.
not hard at all. i used a tiny flat head screw driver for like glasses on the outside edge of the seal to get it out. then on install like you said just lube it up and make sure you tap it in evenly. i had a seal installer so it made it super easy. it took me about most of saturday to remove and install everything.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:39 AM
brutal_gt
3rd Gear Member

i had a slightly upgraded clutch before i put in the spec stg 2 and it was heavy but not nearly as heavy as it is now. there's no way i would have been comfortable running a stock quadrant with it. i've been in some stop and go already and i got use to it real quick.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:11 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

hmmm, i just wish i had something to compare it to. I just hate change when it comes to my car and i dont want something heavier than i have now. I need to meet more people with stangs so i can start comparing some of this shizzle.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:40 PM
1994sn95
1st Gear Member

as far as i know i have the stock cable and quandrant. My clutch is definitely not stock, we have a '95 Cobra convert in our showroom with like 4k miles and its clutch is way lighter than mine, like mine is way heavier, not even close. The reason I have to change my clutch is my rear main is leaking oil all over it and it really doesnt grab anymore, so now is a good time to upgrade clutch and fix a problem.

I am mainly confused b/c my friend said he got a king cobra in his fox and said it was extremely heavy, so something is not adding up to me. i hate cars sometimes, what a bitch.
Did he have the stock clutch in before that? That defintely doesnt make any sense at all. I woulsd say just go with the king cobra. From my experience its not that hard and knig cobra even advertises it to be lighter...plus ur driven a mustang here, u shouldnt be expecting some soft mushy civic clutch.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Logz5.0
1st Gear Member

Nice, my clutch is on its way out... what was the company u bought it from and the cost??? Just checking?

Quick Reply: SPEC STG2 Clutch and Flywheel Installed!