5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Made some progress tonight... Updated with more pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 03:13 PM
88MustangGX
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Made some progress tonight... (pics inside!)

mines already out [8D]
Old 11-28-2006, 03:15 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Nice! But mine's staying in
Old 11-28-2006, 03:18 PM
88MustangGX
2nd Gear Member

haha, i'm rebuilding mine and boiling the block so it kinda had to come out. BUT while its out i might as well throw some goodies in it
Old 11-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Streetracer911
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88MustangGX

haha, i'm rebuilding mine and boiling the block so it kinda had to come out. BUT while its out i might as well throw some goodies in it

what does boiling mean/do? and do you actually boil it like you would a egg or hotdog? lmao sorry don't know what that means
Old 11-28-2006, 06:46 PM
88MustangGX
2nd Gear Member

they submerge the block in a tank of really hot water and some kind of acid to take off all the sludge and crap on the block. good thing to do while its out. it costs like 150 bucks. i'll be posting pic's as i go, it's getting dunked soon
Old 11-28-2006, 07:02 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

I got my E7's dipped and a 3-angle valve job w/ new valves, seats, etc for $70 each, then I ported them w/ my dremmel and matched them to a felpro....don't remember which. I think straightening the intake ports and opening up the exhaust (grinding down the thermactor bumps) helped the most. The exhaust side on stock E7's blows. I don't have any #'s or anything for ya, sorry.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:43 PM
black88lx

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

I'm sure it was probably worth a few horsepower on that car but not much. I've got a good amount more mods than what your buddy has so I know there's going to be a difference. Did you guys take it to the track before and after the cam install? You also should've upgraded the springs, an aftermarket cam is useless without some stiffer springs.

that was two years ago, now the car has gt 40 heads that my dumbass friend has 900 dollars worth of work too. he is an idiot, could have gotten used aluminum heads for that much. but anyway, shortly after we did the cam, we followed up with 3.73, headers, x pipe, flowmaster catback. the haeds have bigger valves and bigger springs too match the cam, also gt 40 upper and lower, as well as 24lb jectors, adjustable regulator, 75mm throttle body, granatelli mass air meter, ummm, what else. oh a centerforce dual friction clutch. pretty much everything you could do without touching the bottom end. its sonic blue witha cowl hood and cobra rear bumper, with ponies. it had draglites but he sold them to me, he didnt like them. I think thats it, the car is very quick and sounds great,it was unbelievable how much difference the heads made. the car sounded totally different, all whole new monster
Old 11-28-2006, 07:54 PM
MrMiracle
2nd Gear Member

I'm working on removing mine too, but I'm starting with the accessories. I need to find a way to depressurize the A/C before I can get much further.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:05 PM
black88lx

JUST STICK A srewdriver of someting into one of the ac line bungs, under the blue or black cap on the metal line, just hold it in like you were letting air out of someones tires, it takes a few minutes to get the pressure out, but it s the easiest way
Old 11-28-2006, 08:55 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Got my parts in today and I just yanked off the lower manifold. Now I've got to do some homework to do, but I'll continue working on it after I'm done. From the pictures of my lifter valley and the top of my heads, I'm thinking that the previous owner didn't change the oil or at one time it got really hot or something, it's nasty and filled with sludge! Anyways, here are some more pictures...

Quick Reply: Made some progress tonight... Updated with more pictures!