5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

What really is power shifting?

Old 03-13-2007, 06:51 AM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What really is power shifting?

Actually you all are wrong... No such thing as clutchless shifting. Well there is, but it is called clutchless shifting. And if you have a clutch, and try to do it. I feel sorry for you. And as for not letting off of the gas. That is also a no no. That is not power shifting. That is a one way ticket to a blown motor. You will always get the motor to high in the RPMs. Only guys getting away with that is those drifter guys that bounce the needle on the rev limiter. Power shifting is when you pop the clutch when it is in gear. You arent power shifting when you let the clutch out slow and ease it in gear for a smoother shift. Like you may have to ease it in 1st and maby 2nd, then power shift it in 3rd, 4th & 5th. It aint smooth and you are applying the power to the rear wheels fastly. It is a more stressfull way to shift. You can make to much HP to power shift in the upper gears. Like if you are cruisin in third and down shift to second and rev it and pop it in fast. That is power shifting.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:20 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Evil_F

Actually you all are wrong... No such thing as clutchless shifting. Well there is, but it is called clutchless shifting. And if you have a clutch, and try to do it. I feel sorry for you. And as for not letting off of the gas. That is also a no no. That is not power shifting. That is a one way ticket to a blown motor. You will always get the motor to high in the RPMs. Only guys getting away with that is those drifter guys that bounce the needle on the rev limiter. Power shifting is when you pop the clutch when it is in gear. You arent power shifting when you let the clutch out slow and ease it in gear for a smoother shift. Like you may have to ease it in 1st and maby 2nd, then power shift it in 3rd, 4th & 5th. It aint smooth and you are applying the power to the rear wheels fastly. It is a more stressfull way to shift. You can make to much HP to power shift in the upper gears. Like if you are cruisin in third and down shift to second and rev it and pop it in fast. That is power shifting.
im gonna have to disagree on that sorry
Old 03-13-2007, 09:04 AM
InferRedd
2nd Gear Member

powershifting is when the foot never lets off the gas, while using the clutch and shifting as fast as you can; again never lettingoff of the gas. It's amazing but does doa lot of damage.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:27 AM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kev2369

I'm not much of a fan on shifting without the clutch... That was a thing of the past, when they put big *** rear ends and trannys in those big *** cars... I usually clutch every gear and when i shift i let about 1/4 way out of the throttle... Here's a little video of me hell raising... Fast enough shifting for me... Sounds like the dash is about to come out... haha

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=MOV00238.flv
You shift like a girl
Old 03-16-2007, 04:49 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

ok to clear this up, power shifting is leaving ur foot on the gas and not using the clutch, speed shifting or no lift shifting as i call it is when u shift with the clutch but don't lift off the gas... if don't correctly there will be no more damage done than aggressive DD, and also if it is done correctly u will not over rev the motor, i'm not the fastest shifter at all and i only increase about 200 rpm from 1st to 2nd, and about 300 from 2nd to 3rd
Old 03-16-2007, 05:02 AM
decipha
2nd Gear Member

power shifting WILL PROLONG the life of your clutch. The less slipping that clutch has to do the less wear its introduced to.As for the trany life that may be different however, thatsthe only way i know how to drive... put over 100k miles on my old 325is bmw with absolutely no trany problems. I sold it to a friend of mine 3 years ago and now it has 183k with no clutch or trany problems at all.

can't believe you kids drive standard mustangs and don't power shift?? the *** is wrong with yall? I never back off throttle to shift even for daily driving. NEVER!
Old 03-16-2007, 05:06 AM
PX429
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: decipha

power shifting WILL PROLONG the life of your clutch. The less slipping that clutch has to do the less wear its introduced to.As for the trany life that may be different however, thatsthe only way i know how to drive... put over 100k miles on my old 325is bmw with absolutely no trany problems. I sold it to a friend of mine 3 years ago and now it has 183k with no clutch or trany problems at all.

can't believe you kids drive standard mustangs and don't power shift?? the *** is wrong with yall? I never back off throttle to shift even for daily driving. NEVER!
Yes! Compare a bmw transto a T5
Old 03-16-2007, 05:25 AM
decipha
2nd Gear Member

my bad px i was in a state of shock
Old 03-16-2007, 10:07 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

You big babies. I've powershifted the old T-5 with the stock 5.0 and the 347. Just mostly at the track, though and it makes a hell of a difference.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:40 AM
MUSTANG042004
2nd Gear Member

power shifting is not like double clutching is it ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What really is power shifting?