5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

What really is power shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 01:27 AM
Bumsdeclaf
1st Gear Member

Default What really is power shifting?

two friends of mine are having a discussion on what is power shifting. one says is when you shift without using the clutch. you just force them into gear and somehow you wont grind . upon hearing this I tried it 3 times, the first time it grinded, the second time it acctually happened, just like he said. the third time the tranny said NO and it just dident even budge. the other guy says powershifting is when you shift with clutch but never let go of the accelerator. doing this at 4000 rpm made me loose traction coming into 3rd gear. on a track that does not seem very safe. Personally i think both are stupid and could cause alot of damage. are any of these true? and if not what really is Powershifting?
Old 03-13-2007, 01:29 AM
PX429
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What really is power shifting?

ORIGINAL: Bumsdeclaf

the other guy says powershifting is when you shift with clutch but never let go of the accelerator.
this is powershifting

But powershifting is bad. Very Bad! You'll blow up your tranny
Old 03-13-2007, 01:30 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

easist way to explain it is that when u launch off the line at the start your foot goes on the gas WOT... and it never comes off till after the finish line.... so u shift with the gas push in... u cant miss gears and its kinda hard on hte clutch but some ppl sware by it
Old 03-13-2007, 01:32 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PX429

the other guy says powershifting is when you shift with clutch but never let go of the accelerator.
this is powershifting

But powershifting is bad. Very Bad! You'll blow up your tranny

his not lying trust me it aint pretty.... if u really want pictures of what could happen i can get some up here tomorrow.... no hard to kill a t-5 powershifting... do it once or twice in not a good way and bye bye tranny... even if your good at it time will caught up with u
Old 03-13-2007, 01:33 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

If you have ever wonderered why some drivers run way better than others one reason is they power shift. Yes if done wrong it can hurt your trans, but when done right it helps out quite a bit in the 1/4. BTW the guy who says not to use the clutch is dumb, don't listen to him.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:34 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

one says is when you shift without using the clutch.

thats called clutchless shifting... its just as dumb as power shifting... its not easy to do and u have to get used to the tranny and no what rpms it likes and u can end up tearing the **** outta the tranny b4 u even get good at it

tell your friends there stupid if they try this and then slap then if they have a stang and give them a high five if they drive a GMC vehicle (the evil side lol)
Old 03-13-2007, 01:35 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ok, if ur asking what it is... DONT DO EITHER

1st off, dont shift w. no clutch, its just ****ing stupid... if you understood how a clutch/trans. worked you WOULDNT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT

2nd, the other thing, which i refer to as flat shifting, if your good you can do it... i dont quite do it, but what i do, might as well be that... yes its hard on a clutch, but if your good and can shift quick enough ,its ok... do it daily driving? **** no... at the track... i do...

Old 03-13-2007, 01:37 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

dimebag i like that sig its pretty bad ***!!... sry off topic... but had to give a brother his props
Old 03-13-2007, 01:37 AM
Bumsdeclaf
1st Gear Member

dudes.....ok.... this guy then, the one of not using the clutch must be god then cause I SAW HIM do this at 6000 rpm and not a single peep from the tranny. HOW DOES HE DO THAT!!!!!! btw when i powershifted the way u guys said at 4000 rpm, my car felt alot faster than if i had shifted normally at 6000 rpm. does that sound correct.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:39 AM
PX429
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dimebag

ok, if ur asking what it is... DONT DO EITHER
[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Quick Reply: What really is power shifting?