5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Finally added 4 more lugnuts

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 02:04 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Finally added 4 more lugnuts

u added 4 lug nuts? that was a stupid i idea.... now ut's gunna lake u that much longer to take the wheels off[:'(]

hahaha just playin'... looks good, but paint the drums black, the calipers look good but painted drums reminds me to much of the ricer ****
Old 04-19-2007, 02:29 AM
Blck92GT
2nd Gear Member

Please tell me those wheels are only there until some nice saleen or any 18" wheel are goin on there
Old 04-19-2007, 02:49 AM
91stang
4th Gear Member

hey pro50sc can i see a full car pic with those bullit rims on? i want to change mine but i don't wanna go with same ol cobra rims
Old 04-19-2007, 06:51 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blck92GT

Please tell me those wheels are only there until some nice saleen or any 18" wheel are goin on there
Actually I plan on keeping these on.
I had new tires with only about 300 miles on them on my old wheels so I wanted to stick with 16's.
The only reasons I did a 5 lug swap were for the better brakes and better handling.
I wouldve stuck with the 4 lug Pony's otherwise.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

looks good

what happened to the fenders?

Old 04-19-2007, 08:59 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: 91stang

hey pro50sc can i see a full car pic with those bullit rims on? i want to change mine but i don't wanna go with same ol cobra rims

Old 04-20-2007, 01:05 AM
PJB
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shelty

looks good

what happened to the fenders?

Thanks.
Im replacing the fenders because theyre rusty. The lower part of the 1/4 panel was already replaced with new metal.
Im getting the whole body redone and completely repainted.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:38 AM
kcsoa22
2nd Gear Member

PJB & Pro- How is your braking with upgraded front brakes and drums in the back? I only ask because I was emailing with Maximum Motorsports trying to figure out what parts I needed and I was told it was NOT a good Idea. Here is my question, and their answer:

I am converting my 1989 Mustang LX 5.0L to 5 lug so I can install 17 inch
wheels.

I plan on using 1994 Spindles with cobra calipers FRPP # M-2320-C
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6011

I plan on leaving the rear brakes drum, with 5 lug axles.

My question is Which Brakes lines do I need so I can use these front
calipers and my factory hard lines?

Also Do you recommend your BMC-1 master cylinder with MMBAK-2 OR BMC-2
Master cylinder with MMBAK-3? Do either of these Master Cylinders require
replacement of my stock 1989 Brake booster?

I do plan on adding rear discs later, but for the time being I already have
axles and drums for the rear.

MM's answer-----
As you may already know, brakes are a hydraulic system. Every component needs to work together in order to produce acceptable results. You cannot upgrade bits and pieces of a hydraulic system; you must upgrade the whole thing. The hydraulic balance of the braking system is very important. When only the front brakes are upgraded, it will destroy this hydraulic balance causing the front brakes to lock up frequently. This will result in longer stopping distances as well as rapid wear of the front brakes. It is essential to upgrade the brakes at all 4 corners of the car if you are interested in a safe braking system.

Installing the 13” Cobra brakes on the front while retaining drum brakes in the rear is an extremely bad idea. Contrary to popular belief, this will make the car stop worse than it did originally.

I strongly recommend retaining the original front brakes calipers and rotor size until you are prepared for a rear disk conversion. We have direct replacement front rotors for your 1989 that have 5-lugs. This is the best option to get you by in the mean time.

When it comes time for rear disks, you will need a minimum of an 11.65” rotor diameter. In order to complete the job you will need a 1994-95 GT master cylinder, a master cylinder adapter kit, an adjustable proportioning valve andproportioning valve eliminator kit. You will also need special brake hoses in order to install your new Cobra front brakes (MM part # MMBK7F @ $79.95).

I have done many FOX Mustang brake upgrades. Speaking from experience, I will only use the M-2300-K Cobra brake upgrade offered by Ford Motorsport. The price is a bit of a shock initially but if you do the math, it is actually very cost effective compared to the alternatives.

So I am wondering what you guys think? Is he just trying to sell me a M-2300-K? He seems genuine, now I am second guessing on how to convert.

BTW-Sorry did not mean to hijack a thread, but both your conversions look good, and who better to ask than someone who has done it.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:14 AM
PJB
5th Gear Member

I didnt change the master cylinder or any brake lines. I just added on an adapter from Maximum Motorsports for the passenger side line.
Other than that I just used the stock setup.
I used stock size rotors and pads and stock calipers on the front and Ranger drums on the rear.
I plan on keeping the brake system that way.

I havent driven the car since the swap because its all apart in the body shop (no fenders or rear lights).
Old 04-24-2007, 10:52 PM
kcsoa22
2nd Gear Member

Hey PRO50SC--Are your chrome bullitt wheels OE or aftermarket? If aftermarket, where did you get them and are you happy with them?

Quick Reply: Finally added 4 more lugnuts