5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Suspention question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 03:27 PM
LimaXray
I ♥ Acer

Default Suspention question...

I was reading the latest issue of 5.0, they were doing an atricle on upgrading the rear suspention of a S197 GT. Upper mount, some odd frame braces, LCAs, shocks spring. Then came something that that got my ears wiggling. They welded on brackets that lowered where the LCA connects to the axle tubes. DING! Why can't we do this on out foxes, and SN95/New Edge cars, for that matter?
I'm gonna get a little thinkie here for a minute. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. When you plant the gas pedal, your left rear tire spins CCW (as viewed looking at the drivers side of the car.) The same forces that spin that tire are trying to spin the axle housing CW. The LCA bracket transfers this energy to the LCA's, the LCa's to the chassis; thus creating lift on the front of the car (that we all love), and weight transfer to the rear of the car.
The bracket that locates the LCA to the axle housing is nothing more than a simple lever. Any one that has ever lossened a rusty bolt can tell you, the longer the lever, the more force is transfered. By increasing the length of this lever, would you not increase the amount of lift, and wiegh transfer? I don't want to make it sound like i read the article and figured "whats good gor the goose is good for the \gander." I understand that you must add a spacer between the spiring and the LCA to maintain ride height. The issue of a spacer could be avoided with use of LCA's that incorporate an adjustable spring mounts.
Any one have any thoughts? What would the increased angle of the LCA do to handling, if anything?
Old 05-26-2007, 08:03 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Suspention question...

hmm... this is very interesting... im gonna do some thinking on it too... dunno if it would do much for handling, but launching it very well may... you have a good concept, i might pic up that mag and check it out myself, and see if we can do it w. the fox's
Old 05-26-2007, 08:48 PM
LimaXray
I ♥ Acer

Launching is where I was looking for improvment. Looking for something that could improve 60 foot times. I'm not really concerned with 60' times right now, I'm too busy bragging and showing off time slips. When your running 15.29's @90.89 thats what you do. Man is my car slow....
Old 05-26-2007, 08:57 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LimaXray

Launching is where I was looking for improvment. Looking for something that could improve 60 foot times. I'm not really concerned with 60' times right now, I'm too busy bragging and showing off time slips. When your running 15.29's @90.89 thats what you do. Man is my car slow....
Lima if it makes you feel any better my last time out was 15.469 @ 89.95 mph. 60' was 2.407 what is really sad is I have run 14.7 in the past.