5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Is it me, or is this EBay notch turbo woo..sweet ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 05:31 PM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Is it me, or is this EBay notch turbo woo..sweet ?

at least somebody agree's with me on something
Old 06-03-2007, 05:56 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

I wasnt aware that the Cartechs were that cheap. I know the Pro Turbo Kits go for something lik 4800 complete, down to the fuel pumps, fans, injectors, etc.

I still dont believe that 10K is out of the question, when you consider that a shop generally charged 75 dollars an hour, installing a turbo kit, and all of the associated parts, in such a clean manner would get pricey. Sure someone could build the car for 6K, but thats your own labor. Pay someone labor, and the price jumps tremendously. I work at a truck shop, we charged someone 135 or so dollars to come out on location, and add 2 gallons of anti-freeze. Labor isnt cheap.

As for the turbo questions, Cassidy, youre partially right about utilizing the boost. Like i said, you have pressure versus flow. Generally, you get more pressure when you have less flow. You can increase boost till you blow the crankshaft through the oil pan, but without the flow, you wont get the full potential of the boost. Running 22psi with the turbo on my car, it makes great power. Basically, i worked my way up with boost, untill i didnt feel a noticable difference with each turn of the boost controller. I went as high as 25 or so psi, but 22 felt like the sweet spot.

Sure, if i had the head ported, intakes done, bigger throttle body, etc, i would make more use of the boost, but even with the stock components, it was a very significant increase.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:39 PM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

like i said its hard for me to put my words into a forum reply but it seems that we are on the same page. you're just better then i am at having to put it in to words.

As for the price, i dont think that anyone will get the labor they put into a project back out of it when they sell. because i know all the work i did with my car was worth way more then $75 a hour
Old 06-05-2007, 05:41 PM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

well he finally got his list of mods up. here they are.
This auction is for a 1987 White/Grey Ford Mustang LX with only 2,000 miles on the rebuilt engine. This fine car has a 302 engine bored .030 over, a Cobra Intake, Cartech Street Sleeper Turbo System, Short Throw Shifter, 5 Speed Transmission and 3:55 Traction Lock Rear. This car is in great condition and ready for the summer night cruises. Please contact us to make arrangements to see this car.
Here is a list of what has been done to the car.
GT-40 Aluminum Heads (Street ported and polished) (ford) Competition Cams (#3611/3612) FMS 1.7 Rocker Arms (ford) ARP Rocker Studs Totally Stainless – Grade 8 Engine Bolt Kit MSD-6462 Ignition Box with Boot Timing – (Summit Racing) BRA-1660 Aluminum HO Water Pump – (Summit Racing) FLU715221 HO Crank Damper – (Summit Racing) FMS-M6500R02 Hydraulic Lifters – (Summit Racing) CTF-DF021048 Clutch Set – (Summit Racing) PSM-82-1110 SS Off Road H-Pipe – (Summit Racing) Hi Output In-Tank Fuel Pump – (Mustang Parts Specialties) Cartech Street Sleeper Turbocharger System with Intercooler and HPC Coating on Exhaust Headers. This system installed on this engine should result in over 450 HP. The owner has never had the car on a Dyno or at the track. Battery has been relocated to the trunk and is housed in a plastic case.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:20 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

All that and no injectors? Hello fuel starvation. Not to mention the loss of power through the stock TB and MAF... unless he's just absent minded [&:]