5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

OUCH!! G@DD#MNIT!!- They are gonna fix it!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 01:34 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Default OUCH!! G@DD#MNIT!!- They are gonna fix it!!

Last night taking my wife into town for dinner had some dumb@ss in a Chebby HHR pull out of a truckstop trying to beat the southbound car which he did but in the prossess beat into the side of the northbound car MY CAR!!!!
He caught the sidewall of my new tires, drivers fender and door! My wife and I where wearing our seat belts and I was only going about 25mph so neither of us where hurt. Car seams to still track straight and is driveable. I'm only worried a bit that where he hit me if it bent the door support at the firewall or the unibody frame rail. As of right now he was sited for illeagle left turn from private property so it all falls on him and his insurance now.

I want to tear in to the car to see if there is any hidden damage but cant do anything till the insurance people look at it. I am so pi$$ed off right now my wife was worried I would get out of the car and kill the guy LOL. anyway thanks for letting me vent I'll put picts up ASAP!

OK Here are some picts []

Up on daylight inspection looks like it is mostly outer damage don't see any signs of frame or structural damage. The car is pulling slightly and it is really bad when you hit a bumps or ruts I've had these tires on for little over 10K miles with no un-ordinary wear so that shows before the accident that my alignment was near perfect. also the front tire has a sever rub mark around 3/4 of the side wall so I'm thinking steering rack/ tierod end and a new tire plus fender & door at least!
Old 06-14-2007, 01:37 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

Default RE: OUCH!! G@DD#MNIT!!!

man that sucks. i know u feel. i just had a recent brush with disaster but i lucked out with no serious damage.

problem is i was the victim and the suspect! dohhhh
Old 06-14-2007, 04:07 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

stupid chebbie HHRs[:@]
Old 06-15-2007, 01:36 PM
88ragtop
3rd Gear Member

Yea that would really **** me off as well. But i see that crap all the time from stupid people who dont want to wait their turn and just pull out right in front of you. Im probbly going to have to take anger management classes before to long[:@]
Old 06-15-2007, 08:19 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Well just got off the phone with the other guys insurance , they are assuming 100% responsibility.
Now for the bad news because of the high miles and the age of the car they are going to total it!
The adjuster will come out and look at it and take into consideration the modifications and then they will give me a settlement.
I do plan on buying it back so I will at least not lose my parts.
So I guess I will start looking for a new one with a clean title to start over again.
Guess sense the 87 will be on a salvage title I will keep it and turn it into a strip only car a part at a time *sigh*
Old 06-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Dave93VertGt
2nd Gear Member

so they are not totaling it?
Old 06-15-2007, 11:49 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

That sucks. Keep us posted on what the insurance company offers for the buy out. I have an 89 and getting slapped on the road is my biggest fear. I know that I will probably been in the same boat as you. Salvage titles aren't worth crap.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:12 AM
HMUSN
2nd Gear Member

I say let them total it.

the buyback is cheap enough on an old car.

you'll make out in the end.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:15 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Afender and a door are cheap, fix it and keep driving it. It sucks though, I had someone hit my 89 2.3 turbo 7 years ago but it was 2k damage. Godd Luck
Old 06-23-2007, 06:32 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Ok a little up-date. I ran the Kelly Blue Book on my car and it only gave a value of $1680 if it was painted! This had me a bit disapointed because it means IF they do indeed write off my car as a total as the initial agent told me I would not be getting very much for the car, and depending on the other guys deductable my, buy back on the car might be high. So as I would need to buy a reliable replacement to get to work I might not beable to afford to buy my car back.
So the other night I cleaned all my personal items from the car and I decided that incase they do take the car there are a few items I will swap out incase I can't afford to buy it back. Two of those I did that night where the new aluminum arm rest insert (I put the broken plastic one back in) and I wanted to keep my 86 GT steering wheel. I replaced it with the factory 2 spoke cruise control wheel that came with the tilt column I put in my car. A few other parts depends on what they tell me as the final word.
The insurance adjuster came out and looked at my car. He put down damages as far as I heard him say; fender, door, rocker panel, rim , 2 tires and 4 wheel alignment, odds and ends. Then came the part I was worried about the optional equipment and modifications. The only reciepts I could find (a lot of my stuff is stilled packed away from moving) where for my new tires and the 2000R hood.
He put down all the factory options he could see on the car and had little check boxes for. AC, pwr door locks, 5spdetc. The funny part is he put down that my car had cruise control because of the wheel in it! LOL I wasn't going to argue. I showed him the reciept for the tires and told him I could get the one for the hood. Lucky for me he was cool and just took my word for all the body mods and the wheels, etc. He said you could tell just looking at the car even with it primer that it was well maintaned and was being "built/restored". The next day he called and made a comment that my car seams to be worth more than what the first agent belived and he would be fileing his report and I should hear something defenate next week. SO keeping my fingers crossed. What ever the out come I'll just make the best out of it I can.

Quick Reply: OUCH!! G@DD#MNIT!!- They are gonna fix it!!