5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

cali crushes car if busted street racing!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:40 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: cali crushes car if busted street racing!!

the thing that is getting real scary is that they can propose a law and vote and pass it with out asking the people!! i have voted on everything i could have since i was 18 and i never voted on crushing a car.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:41 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Here's my perspective on the situation.

But anyway, I think this is a dumb idea. I understand that they want to punish street racers and it can be a very serious problem. This may look good on paper but think of it from a street perspective.

Let's say a cop sees someone street racing. That person has a 1993 Cobra Mustang with a chromed out, supercharged, 351C with all the supporting mods. This person has well over $15,000 in mods alone. This person also knows that if they get busted for street racing, they will not simply get a ticket or get arrested. They know that they will lose their car and everything they have in it. Do you think this person is going to be more likely to try to run from the police? Now all of a sudden you have an even more dangerous situation, created by a stupid law.

When they know that they will lose everything if they get caught, then they will do everything in their power not to get caught and they are willing to take bigger risks to avoid getting caught. I know this for a fact... I deal with it all the time.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:44 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Interesting point Samseed, makes sense.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:47 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

^^^^ i agree, that can happen, hell, i think it would be damn fun to run from a cop with a cromed out mustang with a supercharger.... if that was the case for me i would never get cought!! HMMM.......hello, vortec? can i get your trim1 sc for a 93 fox??? hahaha
Old 06-21-2007, 01:47 PM
disturbed471985
4th Gear Member

Sam makes alot of sence but my question is say u have an 04 cobra and ur caught racing are they going to crush that>?>? Considering u prob still owe money on the car. I think this could easily turn into a legal battle.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:54 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

i have gotten pulled over by a cop who owns a fox, if your over the age of 18 and dont drive a fart caned civic you may beable to talk your way out of it.

as far as the rules go.....i have no idea of each individual circumstance of each race or racer. there is more to the story than what is in that vauge artical. i notice that each person was an "advid" street racer. maybe they had one too many races on their record??

all i know is i would be pissed if my ride got crushed after showing up a wrx to 60mph. well, one thing is for sure, the local "slippery as hell" 1/8 mile drag by me is going to be over f**** run with cars now.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Stanpower
4th Gear Member

My Father said it's the same way in Texas get caught racing on the streets they take your car...........
Old 06-21-2007, 02:02 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

i would believe it, its texas. in a way i admire those guys because they dont give a f about anything. if you step out of line they will come down on you just like hail.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Kingcater
2nd Gear Member

I've seen this type of thread posted on every mustang forum now....

If you read the article it states:

Increased Penalties for Street Racing, DUI Among New Laws for 2007
California Department of Motor Vehicles
Media Relations Office
2415 First Avenue, MS F-122, Sacramento, CA 95818
Contact: Mike Marando, Steve Haskins, Armando Botello, Mike Miller December 20, 2006

Sacramento—During the 2006 legislative year, almost 1400 bills were passed and more than 900 signed into law—including 145 changes to the California Vehicle Code. Many of the changes to existing traffic-related laws take effect on Jan. 1, 2007.

Among the new laws about to go into effect are increased penalties for street racing (speed contests),

AB 2190 (Benoit)--Increases the penalties for reckless driving or engaging in a speed contest of some kind. Specified injuries to other as a result would subject first-offenders to hefty fines and jail or prison time ranging from 30 days to six months.

Everyone has been involved in a street race from time to time. As I have posted on others sites, LEOs are mostly cracking down on imports/ricers as they usually cut corners to make performance modificationssuch as cutting springs, doing hack job engine swaps. Not to mention most of them street race in a manner is stupid, weaving in and out of cars.

If I ever street race it isn't in heavy traffic or highly traveled roads.

The problems with these laws now are that anything can be considered street racing. Such as, you and a driver next to you trying to speed up to get in front of eachother into a merging two to one lane road.....

Sam I agree with you one hundred percent. I know if I see a cop and I think I have a chance of getting away I will take it. It's sad that here in California street racing is a felony buta first offense DUI isn't.

this among many other things has me seriously considering relocating.....

Sorry for the rant...
Old 06-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Fast & Furious didnt help any. Worst comedy of the year. I remember seeing a few cops pulling a few ricers over after that one let out that same night.

Quick Reply: cali crushes car if busted street racing!!