5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Looking to build a Fox Body

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 04:21 PM
mrpositraction

Default Looking to build a Fox Body

I am not that familiar with the Fox Body mustang. I have currently a 2003 Cobra Mustang putting down 501rwhp off of spray. Ported, pullied, tuned, all the supporting mods and I am selling it for something a lot faster. I am going to be building this car street legal but have every intention of tracking it. So here are my questions. I am looking for an easy 9 sec car. I want A/C, radio, etc. I will be replacing the seats with some lightweigt racing seats, and a rear seat delete. I am looking at starting with the 5.0 block, but if you have a better idea, let me know.

How much will the stock block hold safely?

What internals are good for a turbo build?

What heads are good for a turbo build?

I want a heavily built automatic that will hold the power, which one, where would I get one?

What is a good sound proofing to use to minimize drive terrain noise?

What exhaust will flow good yet be fairly quiet, not stock quiet, but not open exhuast loud?

Where is a good place to buy parts from (from pistons, transmissions, to turbo set up)?

I am thinking 9", but how much will the 8.8 hold properly built, where would I get either?

Thanks for all your help, I am doing all the research before I spend a penny on this build, I would lto get the driveline done pretty quick after the car is bought. I will do the body work and most the mechanical work myself with some help of my mechanic friends (work for beer). The turbo set up can wait, but the engine will be built with the intention of running some major boost (whatever the block or turbo will hold).

Thanks,

Greg
Old 06-22-2007, 04:32 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Looking to build a Fox Body

heres where you have to decide if you want a Dart 302 block or a Ford 351w, each will be esaily into the 9s without much worry about spilting
Old 06-25-2007, 01:03 PM
mrpositraction

How much will an 8.8 moser 31 spline axle hold? What is a good differential. Would this hold my set up behind a C6 transmission or should I go to a 9 inch.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:50 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mrpositraction
I am looking for an easy 9 sec car. I want A/C, radio, etc. I will be replacing the seats with some lightweigt racing seats, and a rear seat delete. I am looking at starting with the 5.0 block, but if you have a better idea, let me know.

How much will the stock block hold safely?

What internals are good for a turbo build?

What heads are good for a turbo build?

I want a heavily built automatic that will hold the power, which one, where would I get one?

What is a good sound proofing to use to minimize drive terrain noise?

What exhaust will flow good yet be fairly quiet, not stock quiet, but not open exhuast loud?

Where is a good place to buy parts from (from pistons, transmissions, to turbo set up)?

I am thinking 9", but how much will the 8.8 hold properly built, where would I get either?
First of all, I would not spend any money on a turbo build trying to run 9s with the intentions of using a stock 302 block. I'm not saying it can't be done. Believe me, of all people I'd be the last person to say that. I've posted a link many times here of my close friend running 9s with his turbo coupe on a stock shortblock. But if you're build from scratch, that just spending money poorly. If you want you cake and eat it too (9s with a/c and fully streetable), spend the $2000 on a Dart block. The stock 302 block will be done around 550rwhp. You need to set a goal of 650rwhp for a heavy street car in the 9s.

Good internals? Scat.

Good heads? LARGE. TFS TW 205, Victor Jr., or Canfield 212s if you can get them.

Tranny? Performance Automatic SuperComp C4 - lifetime warranty, rated to 1000hp I ran this tranny in my nitrous coupe and I still have one in my hatch. Both were over 600rwhp.

Sound proofing? Gay.

Mufflers? I run Dynomax UltraFlows. They are a very high flowing "chambered" (riiiiiiight, you can stick your arm straight through it) muffler. They are fairly conservative (for a 600+rwhp car) while normally driving, but let loose under WOT.

Places to buy? I'll beat anyone's price (apples to apples, I don't sell crap) on the rotating assembly. I have a dealer that get's a killer deal on the PA trannys. I like BG Turbo for their kits.

8.8" - You can get into the 7s on them. There is no need for a 9". I would not bother with 31 spline axles though. I run 33s but I wish I would have went bigger to begin with.

My hatch is something similar to what you're wanting to build. It was full weight plus a cage and blower. It still has a/c, power steering, power brakes, power windows and locks, stock clutch fan, all under a stock hood. It has full stock interior, stereo, etc. The car was fairly heavy compared to otherfoxes with similiar power. I drove it to work regularly. On 91 octane and radials, it went 10.40s w/ 1.8 60'. It was 100% street car. The motor is currently out now as I'm doing some minor upgrades. Build something similiar and with a nice 3200lb raceweight and half assed 60' time and you'll be in the 9s.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:53 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FullAuto

Places to buy? I'll beat anyone's price (apples to apples, I don't sell crap) on the rotating assembly.
you have PM
Old 06-25-2007, 04:43 PM
mrpositraction

Thank you FULLAUTO, that is exactly what I am looking for. I am not trying to be a pioneer here, which is why I ask you guys what you would do. I would rather build the 8.8 if it less expensive and will do what you say it can. I never really intended to use the stock block, but the Dart block is so expensive, wondering if the Windsor would be better, but I will look at both. The reason I want sound proofing (gay or not) is I want a quieter ride and nice interior. I am asking a lot, but it is what I want and will spend my money on. This is going to be a car that can be a DD but will mostly sit in the garage and come out when the weather is nice. I also have a buddy with a BIG turbo WS6 I need to keep in his place.

I will look into what you have recommended.