5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

How to properly launch with an AOD

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Foxbodyforever
2nd Gear Member

Default How to properly launch with an AOD

Hey all im gonna be going to the track soon to get some baselines before i start building my engine. But i really don't know how to drag launch with an AOD, is it bad for the torque converter to bring the rpm up in gear with your foot on the brake to keep from moving. Is that what your supposed to do? Thanks
Old 06-25-2007, 05:24 AM
Dave93VertGt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How to properly launch with an AOD

do u have a SHIFT KIT installed? if u notice how it shifts naturally from 1-2 without one, the aod usually shifts at 5k rpm. with my transgo hp shift kit, i reprogrammed that shift to be at 5500 rpm. also, u might wanna look into a heavy duty OD belt and/or a heavy duty input shaft if u gonna do your own shifting/shuffle. i got a kevlar belt on mine. everything depends on your "feel for it". personally i hold the brake depressed, rev spike it it a few times, jam rev it (varies from 1/2-3/4 throttle) to where it almost wants to slide forward (eye on rpm reading, 3k), then a let go of the brake and simultameous gas stomp (sometimes i let go af the gas and then stomp - super fast action though ofcourse), i use the 1-d-1-d shuffle as for the shifting.
i got 3.73 gears - 3k converter

AS A SIDE NOTE, I'VE FELT A CERTAIN BOOST SENSATION AS IT SHIFTS GEARS. THIS IS CLOSE TO ALL THE TIME. ITS LIKE IF THE STANG WANTS TO MAKE UP FOR THE TIME IT SPENDS SHIFTING........IT'S A AWESOME FEELING, I CANT DESCRIBE IT ANYMORE CLEARLY.

AOD SHUFFLE:
when manually shifting from 1st to 2nd, movethe shifter to D to engage 2nd and then waitfor the shift to becompleted, then pull it back into 1 to hold it until it's time to shiftinto 3rd. This way, the OD band engages ONLY after the 1-2 shift hasoccurredand not before,safer and less wear. When you're ready for 3rd,go into D.

please post any info u find on this subject here, maybe i can a learn a few things too.
EDIT: let me add that i think to get the best launch for my situation possible..... i have to get some other mods. a cam, which means i might need heads and intake which means i need rockers, i need a bigger fuel system too for sure, and get my compression within cam and converter specs, and finally get a nice computer tune. THANKS
Old 06-25-2007, 12:06 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

that 1-d-1 shuffle on the aod will kill that tranny...
Old 06-25-2007, 12:50 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

depends on the tranny mods. if you have a stock tranny and converter i would just hold the rpms at 1000rpms till its time to go, then let your foot of the brake as you floor the gas. the stock converter stalls around 1500 so you cant take the rpms way up, norwill it help. you want the converter to flash some so that the power hits the tranny.

the way i do it is at the first yellow light i hit/hold my tranny brake button. second yellow i floor the gas peddle (the 2 step rev limiter holds the motor to about 3800rpms...rpms bounce off the limiter). a split second after the third yellow is lit, i release the trans brake button which turns of the 2 step and dumps the tranny into 1st and the car tears off like a raped ape. but i have a lot done to my tranny which is:

hardened 1 piece c6 input shaft
4300rpm converter (non-lockup)
alto red clutches with kolene steels
mechanical diode
2" OD band
added clutchs in the direct set and in the intermediate set
full manual valve body with trans brake
A++ OD servo
Old 06-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Foxbodyforever
2nd Gear Member

so for a stock tranny just bring it up to around 1000 and wait for the green and stomp then gas?
Old 06-25-2007, 02:42 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Foxbodyforever

so for a stock tranny just bring it up to around 1000 and wait for the green and stomp then gas?
yes. start there and then play around with the rpms. you dont have much room to play around with but it will give you a chance to learn the best way to launch your car. if you had a built tranny, it would be different
Old 06-25-2007, 07:33 PM
fordismydad

ANY ONE SELLING SHORT HEATERS FOR 302 87 .........ANY ONE ZIP 75227