5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Is this a good buy??? Your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 04:01 PM
makownic

Default Is this a good buy??? Your opinion

Hey, im looking at this mustang and im not sure if it is a decent price. I havent been looking for mustangs lately but i drove past one and it caught my attention, and now all im doing is researching them. so im asking if you guys think this is a fair price.

Its a 1988 5.0 automatic
new paint (metallic maroon)
17" cobrarims
bbk headers
flowmaster exhaust
sound system (idk what kind i dont care really)

he is asking 5,995. idk if 6 grand is fair. kbb sais excelent condition for a base model is 1500, and yes you add everything in i know the price will go up but im thinkin its still too much. What do you guys think? And is there anything i should look out for with this year or the car in general? For example is it really that bad, or is there that much of a difference between mass air and speed density? Im not sure what it is, im thinkingSD though?

btw idk how many miles it has and it is in good condition...thanks
Old 06-26-2007, 04:06 PM
68CSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Is this a good buy??? Your opinion

I think the price is pretty high for an 88...especially if the Blue Book is $1500 as a base model. The mileage could make a difference though. You need to find out the mileage before you can decide what its worth. I hope this helps somewhat.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:22 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Yeah 6k is way too much... KBB is going to tell you that it is only worth 1500 because the car is 20 years old, but in reality, people will pay more for them because, well, it's a Fox Mustang... I looked at a 91 about a month ago and the guy was asking 5k for it, it had a brand new T-5, New Paint (not a very good job) 17" Cobra Wheels (Powder coated black) brand new tires, and it had like 130k on it... The car ran good, and all, but the interior was not in very good condition, and the body still had dents and dings in it. Me being a Mustang enthusiast and having owned 4 Fox's in the past would have never bought THAT particular Fox for 5k, but I have seen some that I would pay much more for...

What I am trying to say is, it depends on the condition of the car interior and exterior. I don't really pay attention to mileage because a brand new engine can be had for really cheap, and on a 20 year old car, the suspension is going to have to be freshened up anyways so mileage doesn't mean a thing to me as long as everything is mechanically sound.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:26 PM
drummer701
1st Gear Member

Dont be fooled by kbb, who cares what they say, the market value on fox body mustangs is all that matters and as far as i know you cant find one in good condition for less than 2500-3000 cause everyone wants one. but 6k may be a little steep depending on miles and how well the paint was sprayed and it sounds like he might of beat it a little. Personally if you are serious about getting a fox id look for one near stock so you know it wasnt beat to bad. good luck with your choice though