5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Fox body or SN95 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:07 PM
85GTsleeper
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Fox body or SN95 5.0

get a 4 eye notch those are cooler[8D]
Old 06-27-2007, 10:20 PM
bmennen07
2nd Gear Member

umm i think a CAI gets more then 2hp...maby like 10 at the LEAST.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:26 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: bmennen07

umm i think a CAI gets more then 2hp...maby like 10 at the LEAST.
from a completely stock setup MAYBE ....but remove the silencer and drop a panel filter and it's the same, i'd be skeptical to even see a 2hp increase over that.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:33 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

On a Fox (especially one you suspect has been driven hard) check the rear 4-link attachments and make sure they're not starting to rip out of the floor. Also check around the heater core area to see if any coolant is leaking or the core is bypassed (exceptionally common)... And don't be surprised with the ash tray lid is busted. Also... The air bag you want means no tilt wheel in a Fox. If you're a tall driver (I'm 6'4") that can suck... I plan to swap mine over to an 89 tilt column.

Now that I have a Fox, I kind of wish I would have bought an SN95. Just the 5 lug, 130A alternator, better brakes, tilt wheel (with air bag), and handling upgrades can cost some big bucks on a Fox. So... 5 reasons to buy an SN95...

Good luck!

edit: Forgot that SN's have electric cooling fans too...
Old 06-27-2007, 10:42 PM
magnj

GT98 - Sorry ;-). Just stereotyping.

Cantstop - Thanks for the input, I know it is going to take a bit of shopping to find a car I like, however I think if I found the right hatchback I would settle for that as it seems like notches are kinda hard to come by.

85gtsleeper - nah, some of the well done 4eyes are nice but I don;t think i have the money, patients or skills to make it look like a car I'd want to be seen in

Max - I'm not tall, but I could see a non-adjustable wheel being kinda junky. I hate this...tough choice. I mean I want the car to be fast, but I also want to be able to take it around the twisties and not loose it's ****. Whats the lightest 5.0 SN95

Oh and btw under no circumstances will I drive a vert...I'm sorry if you own one but I think they look like crap unless the top is down.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:45 PM
MustangGT98
1st Gear Member

well my 94 is sadly 3400lbs, pretty quick just a heavy bitch
Old 06-27-2007, 10:46 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

check for rust at bottom inside doors, hatch and rocker panel, floors too like to rust, check for sloppy steering. If a stick make sure it shifts smooth and doesn't grind at all, most t-5's are abused and are ready for a rebuild, a stock intake has a bolt down plate in the center. Just go with 90-93 notch, but 93 doesn't have forged pistons
Old 06-27-2007, 10:50 PM
MustangGT98
1st Gear Member

yes for the love of gods check the tranny, my tranny grinds like a bitch goin to 2nd gear and sometimes in first, so for now i have to really really drive her easy otherwise i have to replace a tranny with no money that could be a problem otherwise check the rearend for leaks and check the engine for leaks/knocking/strange noise enjoy what you pick
[align=left] [/align]
Old 06-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Don't get me wrong on the Fox... With nothing more than Ford Racing B springs (most guys on here run the more aggressive C's) and polyurethane bushings my Fox will corner way harder than a reasonable person should ever drive it on the street. It's not like a truck or anything. The geometry just isn't as good as the SNs. No clue on the lightest SN... If such a car exists I imagine it would have a 5.0/5-speed, no air, no cruise, and a cloth interior.

Also, by all accounts the Fox is way easier to work on (never wrenched on a SN).

Could always go with my plan... Buy the nicest car you've got money for and work from there. I'd really love to have the Fox as a monster car and have a nice quick-ish SN 'vert to cruise in.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:57 PM
XXC
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: magnj

GT98 - Sorry ;-). Just stereotyping.

Cantstop - Thanks for the input, I know it is going to take a bit of shopping to find a car I like, however I think if I found the right hatchback I would settle for that as it seems like notches are kinda hard to come by.

85gtsleeper - nah, some of the well done 4eyes are nice but I don;t think i have the money, patients or skills to make it look like a car I'd want to be seen in

Max - I'm not tall, but I could see a non-adjustable wheel being kinda junky. I hate this...tough choice. I mean I want the car to be fast, but I also want to be able to take it around the twisties and not loose it's ****. Whats the lightest 5.0 SN95

Oh and btw under no circumstances will I drive a vert...I'm sorry if you own one but I think they look like crap unless the top is down.

What do you want to be "seen in" I don't know what that means, but my 4 Eyes gets more attention then any other 5.0 yet.

I got a 97 Vert, and It looks just as good with the top up as it does down.

Why would you want to take a mustang on the "Twisties"?

Quick Reply: Fox body or SN95 5.0