5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Can You guys explain some things to me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Danegerous

Default Can You guys explain some things to me?

I'm pretty new to the Mustang scene, and I am Googling as we speak, I just need a little extra help.

1) What are the different options available to me for my '87 5.0 in the form of advanced intake?

2) What is this mass air conversion I hear absolutely everyone talking about?

3) What are some quick, relatively easy ways to boost some HP? (not cheezy ways, legit, longlasting things). I'm making my slow progression towards fast and powerful, but the headers and pipes are gonna have to wait a tad. So, what can I do in the meantime to squeeze some HP out of this beast?

4) What brand short shifter can I trust? Cold Air Intake? (I see a lot of things on eBay that could be a good deal, only if I knew I could trust that brand).

5) Any recommendations based on experience what headers/pipes to go with or to not go with? I was thinking Magnaflow cat back, but I found some Flowmasters that might be nice.

6) Since my GT has the bent down pipes at the end, am I losing any significant amount of pressure/HP compared to the straight pipes? Would it be worth swapping the rear ground effects to allow for the straight pipes?

Thanks in advance folks! I really appreciate it!
Dane
Old 06-28-2007, 02:22 PM
koesterca1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Can You guys explain some things to me?

1.Im not sure what you mean "advanced intake"
2.The mass air conversion is for engines that still are speed density. People convert them to mass air because its more accurate and adaptable to mods.Do a search for it.
3.Unfortunatley exhaust is one of the first mods you can make. Gears are also a good kick in the pants feel but require big bucks for install. A free way for a few HP are to bump the timing. Check the tech stickies for a how to guide.
4.Steeda,MGW,Pro.50 are good shifters. Most people keep the factory airbox as its already a Cold air intake. Just usea k&n filter in the airbox.
5.BBK makes nice decently priced headers. Muffler selections is based on opinion. You'll get 100 different answers.
6.No your not loosing any power because of the turn downs.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:22 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: koesterca1

1.Im not sure what you mean "advanced intake"
2.The mass air conversion is for engines that still are speed density. People convert them to mass air because its more accurate and adaptable to mods.Do a search for it.(Mass Air is easier to tune, Speed Density is better if you get a standalone system)
3.Unfortunatley exhaust is one of the first mods you can make. Gears are also a good kick in the pants feel but require big bucks for install. A free way for a few HP are to bump the timing. Check the tech stickies for a how to guide.
4.Steeda,MGW,Pro.50 are good shifters. Most people keep the factory airbox as its already a Cold air intake. Just usea k&n filter in the airbox.(and remove the air silencer in the fender)
5.BBK makes nice decently priced headers. Muffler selections is based on opinion. You'll get 100 different answers.
6.No your not loosing any power because of the turn downs.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:26 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: Danegerous

I'm pretty new to the Mustang scene, and I am Googling as we speak, I just need a little extra help.

1) What are the different options available to me for my '87 5.0 in the form of advanced intake?

2) What is this mass air conversion I hear absolutely everyone talking about?

3) What are some quick, relatively easy ways to boost some HP? (not cheezy ways, legit, longlasting things). I'm making my slow progression towards fast and powerful, but the headers and pipes are gonna have to wait a tad. So, what can I do in the meantime to squeeze some HP out of this beast?

4) What brand short shifter can I trust? Cold Air Intake? (I see a lot of things on eBay that could be a good deal, only if I knew I could trust that brand).

5) Any recommendations based on experience what headers/pipes to go with or to not go with? I was thinking Magnaflow cat back, but I found some Flowmasters that might be nice.

6) Since my GT has the bent down pipes at the end, am I losing any significant amount of pressure/HP compared to the straight pipes? Would it be worth swapping the rear ground effects to allow for the straight pipes?

Thanks in advance folks! I really appreciate it!
Dane
1) what?

2) mass air rocks, do the conversion

3) bump timing, lose the air silencer, if you dont want a/c, lose that, ditch the smog pump if you dont have emitions laws, swap out to some summit ceramic coated headers, drop in a k&n or cone filter. from their you'll be spending some big money to get all the ponies out of your car. i suggest upgrade suspention, gears, your car has way more potential than you know.

4)I run hurst and i love it, good look. alot of people say pro 5.0 and mgw/ screw the cold air waste of money

5) summit shorties ceramic coated, or get some long tubes if you want it to sound like a beast, i run flow master, to each his own, go to exhaust stickies and find something that you like

6) no diff, pretty much all looks for the pipes.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Danegerous

ORIGINAL: Danegerous
I simply meant blowers, superchargers, turbos, things like that...not sure if all that qualifies as intake, but that's what I meant.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:08 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Forced induction