5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Studdering mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 03:44 AM
maiello2169
2nd Gear Member

Default Studdering mustang

So I posted almost a week ago about a mustang I just bought that studders and hesitates when I first start driving it. The advice givin to me was to remove TB, EGR and EGR spacer and clean with carb/choke cleaner. Well when I took that thing apart it was gross. The two ports that the egr connect to were totally clogged, and the throttle body had a TON of gunk buildup in it. Pretty nasty stuff. Could this cause the car to studder/hesitate? And also, is there anything else I should do before I put all this stuff back together? Thanks again people.

-Mike
Old 07-13-2007, 09:32 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Studdering mustang

How does it idle? If it idles a bit rough you may want to clean the IAC with carb cleaner as well. Since I have absolutely zero information on what you even have for a car, I'll assume that it is relatively modern and has a MAF. If that's the case, clean those wires with some electrical cleaner or some MAF sensor cleaner.

If everything else is foulde up or dirty, it may not be a bad idea to give it an overall tuneup. The plugs are probably bad as well. Wouldn't hurt to change the cap, rotor, wires, and fuel filter as well.

For good measure, run a can of seafoam through the car. I like to put 1/3 of the can in the gas tank, 1/3 of the can in the crankcase, and 1/3 of the can in the intake itself via the brake booster vacuum line. (if you have never heard of it or used it before, let me know and I'll explain in greater detail.) After the seafoam, drive it around for a little bit then change the oil.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:23 AM
maiello2169
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Studdering mustang

Ok well first off its a 93 GT. Basically when I first bought the car, it wouldn't go past 40mph no matter how much I stepped on the gas. So I bought a tps, cleaned the MAF, Changed Plugs, Retimed to about 12 degrees, bought a new bbk x-pipe with cats(because the two front cats were clogged and overheating)and new o2 sensors(because it had origional ones in it). All of this made a huge difference in the cars performance for sure. it really doesn't help that the clutch is slipping either. Also the car idles pretty damn good. But like I said in my previous post, I have the intake/tb/egr and spacer taken out and cleaned. I just bought new gaskets and oil today, so I'm hoping to use that seafoam stuff soon. How exactly do I go about putting it in the vaccum line? I already have a can in the gas tank waiting to be used...lol. and I have another can in my garage...maybe 1/2 in the crankcase and the other in the vaccum? Thanks a lot samseed =). Oh and also where is the IAC?

-Mike