5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Complete Tear Down and Rebuild of a Foxbody

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 11:04 AM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Complete Tear Down and Rebuild of a Foxbody

ORIGINAL: REDS 5.0

Man those things had ugly dashes! What are you going to do as far as interiors? I've got a 87-89 black and red dash you can have for the shipping. What are you going to do with the interior you got?
Maybe I'm weird, but I've always liked those dashes, LOL. Thanks for the offer on the '87 dash, but I already have what I need for the interior... it's gonna be black with a custom rear seat delete and custom door panels. The interiorI took out is an absolute mess... pretty dry rotted and painted over in some spots. The seat framesand halos are good... I'm keeping them incase I need them for one of my other Capris. Everything else is getting tossed out unless someone on here reallyneeds something.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:44 AM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Is this the current rebuild your doing, I thought the white capri was getting rebuilt right now. Either way, that is cool, I hope to learn a good bit on how everything comes together. I will try not to miss this posting as well.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:16 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tmajikman

Is this the current rebuild your doing, I thought the white capri was getting rebuilt right now. Either way, that is cool, I hope to learn a good bit on how everything comes together. I will try not to miss this posting as well.
You are correct, the white Capri in my signature is the one this thread is about. That picture was taken shortly after I got it home from the paint shop... I pieced it together to get some photos for the insurance company. In that pic, it was already appraised andinsured for $10,000... then the drivetrain, suspension and everything in and under it was removed. I amalready pretty far along withthis restoration, I just wanted to get alot of photos built up before I started posting them... that way I can put a new group of them up each weekend, so there is a steady stream for the thread to keep moving along and people don't lose interest. I'll jump ahead for a moment and give you a taste of how much attention to detail is going into this car.

Here's a pic of the underside being stripped to bare metal...

And here's oneof it under primer...
Old 07-15-2007, 12:48 PM
stangman94
4th Gear Member

when do you want to be done by have a goal?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:55 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

what was the deal with capri/mustang backend? any thoughts on direction? also, have you considered brushed aluminum inserts to replace the woodgrain? personally i think the dash would look good if the wood took a hike (i never saw wood and hi-performance as two things that went together)
Old 07-15-2007, 01:04 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

I hope to have everything but the interior finished by early October, so I can drive it enough to break in the new motor, trans and diff. That way I can get it dyno tuned and work out all the bugs. Then over the winter, I'll get the interior completed and be ready to race and show it when spring hits. The Dash is going to look like this when I'm done... no wood grain. Yuck!
Old 07-15-2007, 01:13 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

awesome, looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you

I look forward to looking at the progress pictures!
Old 07-15-2007, 01:16 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i like that dash alot better, and the steering wheel better too.

some of those used the mustang II steering wheels didnt they? the aluminum finish 3 spoke with the holes in it
Old 07-15-2007, 02:36 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

lol you love capri's looks good so far cant wait to see the rest! what are you gonna run as far as engine, tranny and rear?
Old 07-15-2007, 04:56 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I guessI do have a bad case of Capri sickness, shakes head. The motor is gonna be a stock bottom end, T/F track heat upper kit, competition aod, 2800-3000 stall converter, B&M hammer shifter and 3.73's in the 8.8 rear.

Quick Reply: Complete Tear Down and Rebuild of a Foxbody