5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Sneaky Emmisions Tactics

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 02:36 PM
matthoffman22

Default Sneaky Emmisions Tactics

In my state all you have to get is a visual inspection if your car is older than 1996. Being that my car is an 1989 I do not have to get a sniffer test. I have cats and am wondering if i can run a highly emissions illegal cam. like 600 lift or something. Does this pose any risk to like ruin/clog my cats/emissions pumpor catch them on fire or anything?

Is there anything I should worry about with mixing non-emissions parts with emissions parts?

Old 07-19-2007, 02:47 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Sneaky Emmisions Tactics

600 lift? are you planning on a 900hp car?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:48 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

No it will not mess up cats
Old 07-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

y all the lift? you can have a .500 lift cam that will make more power than the .600 lift. if you say because you want the mean sounding cam your looking a the wrong spec
Old 07-19-2007, 04:43 PM
matthoffman22

yea i was being a bit extreme, not sure what i am going to use yet, but not so sure i want to use the emissions legal e-303 cam, i was thinking about one of those cams comp makes especially for stroker motors
Old 07-19-2007, 04:47 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

If you have heads that flow at 600 lift use a cam that can support it. But if the heads only flow to 550 thats overkill. Heads like afr's see flow improvements at 600lift and could benifit from a cam like that. Also 600 lift doesn't mean that hes making 900hp or even 500. It could be a 400hp n/a 302. It all depends on the rest of his setup.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:59 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: matthoffman22

In my state all you have to get is a visual inspection if your car is older than 1996. Being that my car is an 1989 I do not have to get a sniffer test. I have cats and am wondering if i can run a highly emissions illegal cam. like 600 lift or something. Does this pose any risk to like ruin/clog my cats/emissions pumpor catch them on fire or anything?

Is there anything I should worry about with mixing non-emissions parts with emissions parts?

do you have a link to prove that?? because iremember that you are from st louis and you get a sniffer and not a visual emissions test. maybe your thinking of a visual SAFETY inspection. emissions is the sniffer. only exeption is a car 25 years or older which doesnt have to pass emissions at all, only safety.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:08 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 945LSTANG

do you have a link to prove that?? because iremember that you are from st louis and you get a sniffer and not a visual emissions test. maybe your thinking of a visual SAFETY inspection. emissions is the sniffer. only exeption is a car 25 years or older which doesnt have to pass emissions at all, only safety.
In NY cars '95 and older just need to have visable cats to pass safety and emissions.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:06 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

In NY cars '95 and older just need to have visable cats to pass safety and emissions.
unfortunately thats not the case in st louis.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:27 AM
matthoffman22

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

unfortunately thats not the case in st louis.
Please do not spread false information around the forums.

Senate Bill 583, sponsored by Sen. John Griesheimer, changes vehicle emissions testing procedures. The bill decentralizes testing and will allow motorists to have their safety and emissions inspections done at the same location and expands motorists’ options to choose their testing location. It also requires only 1996 or newer vehicles to be tested and takes advantage of on board diagnostic technology to conduct the tests. The bill also adds exemptions for the four newest model year vehicles and for vehicles used to travel less than 12,000 miles in between inspections. The new emissions inspection process will improve customer service and reduce motorists’ burden.

This bill goes into effect August 1st, 2007.

http://www.gov.mo.gov/press/StLBillSigning063006.htm <----- for bill
http://www.gatewaycleanair.com/ <---- for date bill goes into effect

Quick Reply: Sneaky Emmisions Tactics