5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

gear kit or shop?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:41 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Default gear kit or shop?

would this bed a good deal or no deal? http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS

would it be cheaper if i bought this and had a shop install it or just have the shop order what i need?

oh and this too
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS

and would this be too hard to do myself? im deciently mechanically inclined too
Old 07-21-2007, 02:16 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Default RE: gear kit or shop?

let the shop do it, that way you know its right. If you mess it up you have to pay twice
Old 07-21-2007, 02:34 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

If you dont need to have the car running right away do it yourself. I have more experience with rear ends and trannys than i do engines, which kind of sucks because i need to do some engine work. Gears are not hard but can be agravating. Get a good manual. In most gear changes the carrier shims are reused, just remember which side you took them out and put them back in same way. Read up on back lash and make sure your wear pattern is good. You can buy some stuff like white grease to put on pinion gear and rotate by hand to see what kind of pattern is on your ring gear. The crush sleeve on pinion gear will be hard to crush w/o good impact gun. If you dont have air, your will need to put cheater bar on ratchet and push like hell with your foot. But if your not sure call around and see how much you can get them installed.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:00 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

i just bought that exact kit about a week ago...and the trac lok rebuild kit...gotta guy at work who is good with installing new gears...hopefully in the next week he'll have it started depending on how busy he is..ill let ya know how it goes
Old 07-26-2008, 02:51 AM
bermbasher

was the gears frpp gears?
Old 07-26-2008, 05:52 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

the biggest issue with the gear install will be measuring rotational preload done in inch lbs on the pinion bearing which is set by the crush on a new bearing 16-29 inch lbs....used bearing 8-14 inch lbs...your really need to use the dial type ..the beam type will work but not as incrementally close.. with frpp gears most times original ships can be reused..on my set I just installed that's what bI did and worked fine..but then again I have all the special tools and all to check backlash and so forth so I knew it'd be okay..as for rebuild of track loc unit..you also need to set preload on side gears via shim that kit will come with so spyder gears are held in place with correct clearance
Old 07-26-2008, 08:45 AM
90lxrider
2nd Gear Member

i wouldnt get that rebuild kit, i dont remember where but they make a rebuild kit for the 03-04 cobra with carbon fiber clutches
Old 07-26-2008, 01:19 PM
ozz
2nd Gear Member

Yea jegs has the carbon fiber trac loc rebuild clutches
Old 07-26-2008, 02:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: 90lxrider

i wouldnt get that rebuild kit, i dont remember where but they make a rebuild kit for the 03-04 cobra with carbon fiber clutches
the rebuild kit is just fine....if you shim the clutch pack with the appropriate shim and add a tad extra for good measure the rear will last a good long time doing 2 wheel burnouts...350 passes on mine and still going without carbon fiber ones
Old 07-26-2008, 04:43 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

don't you already have gears?

Quick Reply: gear kit or shop?