5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

PROJECT: 1986 t-top begins. ****UPDATE WITH PICS****

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 04:15 PM
92civy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: PROJECT: 1986 t-top begins.

there you all go, let me kno what you guys think.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:53 PM
92civy
4th Gear Member

Old 08-11-2007, 02:25 PM
92civy
4th Gear Member

hey guys, i have had little prgress ion the last littlw while. i bought a 8.8" rear end to replace the wimpy 7.5" i had in the car. so i bought that from a guy in pickering, ontario. i took the hour drive and picked it up for 100 bucks, and it was all good, btw tahts 100 CAD. so today i went to a free parts day at the wreckers 1 hour from me, i got a couple sets of aerostar axles, and i pleace two into the 8.8" rear end. all i need to do now is worry about the front. but until then i will let you all know as to whats going on with the car.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:19 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Ouch! Some spots on that car are a little rough looking. You definitely have your work cut out for you. Too bad you have to do it all outside... that will slow you down a bit if you have a run of bad weather. What are you going to do when it gets cold out? It's nice to see the progress on it... even if it's just in the tear down stage. LOL. Tell us more bout the plans for it like color, interior, etc.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:34 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

is it me or does the hatch area look a little...empty? some bracing in those voids would seem like a good idea
Old 08-11-2007, 08:19 PM
92civy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: capri debris

Ouch! Some spots on that car are a little rough looking. You definitely have your work cut out for you. Too bad you have to do it all outside... that will slow you down a bit if you have a run of bad weather. What are you going to do when it gets cold out? It's nice to see the progress on it... even if it's just in the tear down stage. LOL. Tell us more bout the plans for it like color, interior, etc.
wel i know it sucks working outside. where the car sits is where my 20x40 garage shoukld be, but we have been busy with everything but the building of the garage. i will be moving it to my sisters garage for the winter.

as for plans...wel....

interior: black interior, with those same seats with the rear matched to the front. i will be looking for some black interior moldings and i will be buying black carpet and dash.

paint: for the paint i have no clue yet. i would like to stay with red, gray, black. But when the time comes i will be looking into the paint samples and i most likely pick another colour. but the engine bay will be smoothed out and painted black. the whole underside of the car will be black also.

tire and rims: 15" cragar s/s rims with 275/60/15 rear and 195/75/15 front.Weld prostar with slicks and skinnies up front, tire size undecided.

hope this give you all a brief idea. BTWcapri what colour is taht gray? that looks very nice, and yes some spots are rough but when all said and done it'll be smoothed out.

thanks for looking all, Nik
Old 08-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

you were talking about finding black panels? you can get yourself some interior dye and paint them black, that stuff is really durable and goes on nice. I repainted my console with it (the coin tray was black when I bought it) and its all a nice deep caynon red now...

just my .02

and I am guessing your car was once white? lol
Old 08-11-2007, 10:04 PM
92civy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shelty

you were talking about finding black panels? you can get yourself some interior dye and paint them black, that stuff is really durable and goes on nice. I repainted my console with it (the coin tray was black when I bought it) and its all a nice deep caynon red now...

just my .02

and I am guessing your car was once white? lol

yes car was white, lol. and as for the paint for the interior, thats wyat i will be doing if i can't find a reasonable black interior. i dont really want to paint it cuz if i sratch it the red'll show, and i couldn't stand that.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

that dye is pretty tough, I bet if you wanted too, you could shoot some low gloss/flat clear over it to protect it furthur, but I dont know how that would look
Old 08-17-2007, 08:54 PM
92civy
4th Gear Member

well guys, i just recieved two free t-5 trannies from a neighbour. one has the syncros gone, and a couple little things broken but otherwise good and one taht is great. i will be swticjing to 5 speed. i just removed the engine and tranny and cleaned up the driveay today. started at 1 and finished completely at 6. its out with the k-memeber. i dropped the complete engine and tranny and k memeber all at once. i also have the rear end installed well the uppers are in but the lower i need new ones. i have pictures and will be updating tomrow, thanks for looking.[/align]

Quick Reply: PROJECT: 1986 t-top begins. ****UPDATE WITH PICS****