5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Tune up for a '89 GT (need help/advice)n

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 06:18 AM
boogieman

Default Tune up for a '89 GT (need help/advice)n

My mustang needs a tune up, and I have heard that its much cheaper to do tune ups yourself. So..... I called around and the cheapest i could find was $150.

Can i do it cheaper then that? How hard is it? What do i need to replace?

I've never done a tune up before... But i would like to learn how, and be able to do it myself if i could without risking my car.

Any advice or help? I read a site about what a tune up includes....But its not Mustang specific, and some of the stuff probably isnt even correct for my car.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 07-28-2007, 07:07 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Tune up for a '89 GT (need help/advice)n

150 bucks could be cheap or a lot depending on what the price included. If you are mechanically inclined, tuning up a 5.0 is relatively easy. If the parts have been on there for a while, replace everything. You don't need anything special. Standard motorcraft/autolite plugs. Cap, rotor, wires(most ppl use the Ford racing ones) fuel, air and pcv valve. You should be able to get those parts for under a 100 bucks and then do it yourself.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:18 AM
GT350
1st Gear Member

Paying for a tune-up? Its only changing out simple parts, might as well let the guy drive it for you too. I cringe at the thought of some monkey putting his little greasy paw prints all over my pride and joy!
Old 07-28-2007, 07:28 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: GT350

Paying for a tune-up? Its only changing out simple parts, might as well let the guy drive it for you too. I cringe at the thought of some monkey putting his little greasy paw prints all over my pride and joy!
You should understand, some ppl have no clue how to work on cars but still want a nice ride. I know a lot of ppl in that boat. They're willing to pay for w/e reason, that's their choice. Maybe they don't have the extra time. And so what you're saying is all techs that work on cars are "little monkeys w/ greasy paws"? That's lame.[&:]
Old 07-28-2007, 10:18 AM
robs87fox
2nd Gear Member

I just put new MSD cap&rotor, wires, blaster coil, and ngk plugs, all from summit for 118.00

my first time doing it, only problem was getting a couple plugs started when putting in new ones

Plus when u bring it to a shop there tune ups normally don't include all the parts you really need for a full tune up.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:18 AM
boogieman

I dont have MUCH mechanical knowladge. But I hope to go to school to be a mechanic one day.

I cant afford the tune up really... I need to also buy new Front speakers to go with my new stereo. But my car is sounding kind of rough lately, and i am sure it hasnt had a tune up in at least a year (ive had it for a month or so).

I'd prefer to do it myself because i hear its easy, and i really dont trust going with the cheapest mechanic in town type thing (bad experience with a "cheap mechanic" on my Thunderbirds Motor mount repalcement). Plus i have a few friends who would help.... So i think with our know how combined, and a little guidence off the internet... We might be able to pull it off. hahaha