5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Stay 5.0 or go import?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:22 PM
91MustangGt
1st Gear Member

Default Stay 5.0 or go import?

Hey guys,

Back again. Been really busy with school, new job, another apartment and its all been tough on my 91 5.0.
I've had my car now for over 2 years and not much has improved since I got it. Its still got all of the same issues, except now the body is even worse than it was before. Its got leaks every where, drivetrain vibration, broken second gear syncronizer, runs hot, really bad brakes and as a new addition my hood flew open and dented my roof, breaking my cowl and bending in the cowl hood section. Its also now sporting a worse than original junk yard hood.
As far as the body goes, it now has more dents ( new ones on roof) sides, front bumper is banged up, head lights are yellowER, the primer on my black cobra rear bumper is fadding off more and more everytime I was it, the pressure gun has ripped paint off of my molding, which is also coming off....

I had/have plans for the car, but every few months I notice I'm not heading in a direction where I'll start to make things happen and I just lose more hope as time goes because the car is just getting worse and worse.
The body and tear down of it I can deal, but its the lack of driveability, the worry that one day my brakes just won't grab at all or fast enough, that my engine is going to have a heart attack and leave me stranded or that i'm gonna break my tranny that really gets to me and actually causes me stress when I drive my car.

I've been thinking of ways to make the car dependable because I do not want to give up on it yet, I have a vision that is my mustang and its glorious! Sooo..I've been trying to think of ways to make my car more dependable because I still really want to keep it.

The problems in the drive train I"m told are caused by a unbalanced flywheel, I've bought a new flywheel but don't have the cash to put it in yet. The transmission has broken syncros, I'm willing to buy a rebuilt T-5 but don't have the cash yet. Lets say this takes care of the drive train, now what about the engine? The best way of getting what I want, which is performance and reliability, I think, is to have my engine rebuilt, stripped out of the high performance crap that I've got and built it set up for a supercharger and just run a close to stock engine with low compression and internals that'll handle 10 psi of boost from a supercharger. I now drive 30 miles to and from work, so thats 60 miles a day, in the 210, and anyone who lives in La knows that the 210 at 5pm is not cake. With my current set up, which mostly consists of intake, exhaust, cam, injectors, headers, gears and rockers gives me about 11 miles to the gallon. ( Oh btw, I finally got it dynoed, I made 235 HP to the ground and 282 Ft pounds of torque) That is killing me, I spend about 100 dollars in gas a week, that alone makes me want to sell my car.

So is there anyone out there who has a better idea for me, or anyone who thinks its the best way to go and can suggest an engine builder I can take my car too and great a good balanced and blueprinted engine from around the Los Angeles, California area?

Because my other choise is selling my car for about 3k and putting that down towards a 2003 mitsubishi lancer turbo or a Subaru WRX Sti turbo- both fast fun cars that I will get with warranty and will be much more comfortable, reliable, worry free and good conditioned cars.

So if anyone reads through this hole thing, please advice, I'm really starting to look at autotrader and the recycler thinking of what kind of an add to put on there cause its driving me nuts and its costing me alot alot of money.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:25 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Stay 5.0 or go import?

too much to read just buy a vw diesel jetta or toyota prius
Old 08-01-2007, 11:25 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

mitsubishi made Zero war plane engines.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:31 PM
85GTsleeper
4th Gear Member

just because you thought of trading in a mustang for an import with a turbo is enough for me to tell you to sell the mustang to someone else
Old 08-01-2007, 11:39 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

when you get your turbo car, put some
in the cai
Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 PM
TAPOUT
2nd Gear Member

Seriously, buy an STI. I don't regret it one bit. It is faster than my Mustang, handles better, and is more reliable. I like my Mustang, but the STI will whoop it in every way. I have done some mods to the STI, but it is such a better platform.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:45 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TAPOUT

Seriously, buy an STI. I don't regret it one bit. It is faster than my Mustang, handles better, and is more reliable. I like my Mustang, but the STI will whoop it in every way. I have done some mods to the STI, but it is such a better platform.
1. Its QUICKER. STIs can suck me after 100
2. The only reason it can whoop it is becuase youve got two mini shopvacs spitting air into the pop can cylinders. Imprezas and wrx cant handle my stock geared 89.
be a man, keep your mustang.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:48 PM
TAPOUT
2nd Gear Member

How does your stock geared 89 run? I'm in the 11's with the STI. Want to race on a track that isn't straight? I know what a Mustang can do, and it is not as impressive as you think.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:50 PM
85GTsleeper
4th Gear Member

save the money from buying an sti and put twin turbos on the 5.0 and see who wins..
Old 08-01-2007, 11:51 PM
85GTsleeper
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TAPOUT

How does your stock geared 89 run? I'm in the 11's with the STI. Want to race on a track that isn't straight? I know what a Mustang can do, and it is not as impressive as you think.
time slip would be nice.

Quick Reply: Stay 5.0 or go import?