5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

caster chamber

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:43 AM
notchbackmatt87
3rd Gear Member

Default caster chamber

what do the caster chamber plate kits do bbk makes an adjustable kit wut dose this do
Old 08-07-2007, 12:49 AM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

Default RE: caster chamber

Camber dude, its spelled camber, and they, as the name states, makes it easier to adjust the caster and the camber of the front tires

correct me if im wrong, ill probably mix these up

Caster is the center angle of the wheel, whether its forward or back, this changes the camber during turning, Positive, and the angle is forward, negative is back

Camber is the angle left to right, youve seen cars where the top of the wheel is like an inch farther in than the bottom? thats a buttload of negative camber, positive is the opposite, the top of the wheel is out farther

positive=top facing away from car, negative top facing towards car

these basically can be adjusted to help you in racing situations, or to make it easier to align, seing as most cars have XX caster and usually -.3ish camber
Old 08-07-2007, 12:52 AM
notchbackmatt87
3rd Gear Member

ahhh thanks my dude i guess i know what they are now
Old 08-07-2007, 12:54 AM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

guess?, yeah, im a ****ty picture maker, all you need to know is that they make it easier to align, but i DOUBT youd ever use them yourself, i have em, P.O put them on, but i dont think ill ever figure out how they work
Old 08-07-2007, 03:17 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

you usually don't need them unless you start lowering the car. And even then you can get by with out them. I've got my car lowered and my alignment was dead on with out them before I got hit in the side, no telling now.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:47 PM
importkiller89
1st Gear Member

they also make it so durring hard cornering the alignment doesnt change durring the middle of the corner
Old 08-07-2007, 08:55 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: importkiller89

they also make it so durring hard cornering the alignment doesnt change durring the middle of the corner
Please explain that theory!!
Old 08-07-2007, 09:07 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Only need if lowered car, gives more adjustment for alignment, will save you money in tires in the long run. I think they look sweet under the hood, heres a pic of my hotchkis ones, BBK was 2nd choice

Old 08-08-2007, 07:15 AM
SeePonyGo

I've got a 92 GT with stock suspension, (exceptKYB shocks and struts that are 1 year old) and stock tires/wheels.One day I noticedthe car had too much negative camber. I replaced the ball joints and tie-rod ends, didn't help. Took it to Firestone and was toldthat sometimes springs get old and sag(it has the original stock springs) and the car can develop negativecamber because of that.Suggested thatI needed c/c plates to be able to alignit now. I have never heard of this.
[sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 08-08-2007, 12:30 PM
importkiller89
1st Gear Member

well ur aligmnet can change in the middle of the corner because the stock top plate is not allowing movemnet of the strutthus creates flex in the strut it self which changes aligment in the middle of the cornerthe caster camber plates are thicker and stronger and have a spearical bearing in them that alows the sturt to move andnot flex durring hard cornering and they are also more ajustable

Quick Reply: caster chamber