5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

What Color?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 02:00 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: What Color?

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

i would keep it red. cheaper. if you change the color are you going to haev the engine bay painted? the jams? the trunk? if you change the color the price is going to SHOOT UP
paint it yourself.

buy an air compressor, spray gun, psi regulator, paint.....total around 600 for tools. paint would run about 300-400 in total supplies (laquer based paints) so you could have your car painted for about 900-1200 bucks depends on decent good and have a pretty sick paint job.

worst case at least prep and prime yoruself, save yourself some money when you can.....your cant really Fug up primer.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:05 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh

[paint it yourself.

buy an air compressor, spray gun, psi regulator, paint.....total around 600 for tools. paint would run about 300-400 in total supplies (laquer based paints) so you could have your car painted for about 900-1200 bucks depends on decent good and have a pretty sick paint job.

worst case at least prep and prime yoruself, save yourself some money when you can.....your cant really Fug up primer.
ignore that whole post.
everything thats bolded is wrong. for the sake of money and trouble, just get it done if you havent done one before
Old 08-10-2007, 02:16 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: jakeachy

ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh

[paint it yourself.

ignore that whole post.
everything thats bolded is wrong. for the sake of money and trouble, just get it done if you havent done one before
cant learn without trying espeically on a project car. im big on DIY and not to be a dick dont tell me those prices are wrong. i just bought 60 gallon air compressor, gun and regulator for 725 but thats because i paid a little more for the gun. laquer based paints for your basic colors run about 40-60 dollars a gallon. im not talkin your top of the line du pont, ppg paint pearl paints. im talkin real basic do it yourself and make it sweet. i've paint two cars this way back in highschool, low budget paint jobs. still look good till this day. just real basic colors nothing crazy. and no you cant really fug up primer. if you dont lay it down right, fix yoru problem respray and re adjust. primer is made to be workable. if you fug up your top coats is when it gets hairy.

all you had to say, "it wont be fancy...but its works" and thats the truth!
Old 08-10-2007, 02:49 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Again, if you're inexperienced, stick with solid colors, and leave the metallics and pearls for the more experienced. Solid colors are more forgiving, both during the spray process and afterwards when it comes time to sand and buff. Plus, they're generally cheaper.

The primer flashes in 5-8 minutes between coats and can be topcoated in one hour. If you are going to let the primer sit for more than one hour and you are adding extra coats of primer, you will have to sand the primer with 600-grit paper. The shortcut is to not let it dry for more than one hour between primer coats. You don't have to sand before the topcoat is applied, it will just add scratch marks to the finish. (you may be right on the primer but i would never let mine sit for more than couple days.)

Supplies

Description
Price

3/4-inch masking tape
$1.75

3M 320-grit wet or dry sandpaper, 100 pack

Acetone

DuPont V-4904S primer/filler, 1 gal.

DuPont V-4975S activator, 1 qt.

Nason basecoat, 1/2 gal.

Nason activator, 1 qt.

DuPont HC2300S clear, 1 gal.

DuPont HC2305S activator, 1 qt.

Inline air filter

Overspray sheeting

Respirator

Sharpe air regulator

Evercoat brushable seam sealer, 1 qt.

SEM self-etching primer, 1 can

Quart pails, 6

Total:
$645.40

you can look up DIY painting all around and they'll pretty much all say the same thing. so right now i'm pretty confident on what i've been taught in school and what i've done. you show me something different thats not proffesional grade because, we're not pros at painting our cars.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0612_amc_rambler_body_repair_paint/index.html