5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

power to manual windows

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:20 PM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

Default power to manual windows

my windows need a bit of a overall and i was thinking of maybe going oldschool with the crank windows and no power locks. it will kinda fit the whole theme of the car i think. my question is what do i need to get this done. do i just need a window crank and the regulator thing plus a rivet gun or is there alot more do it then that. also, where can i get some oldschool armrest that don't have the power stuff on them. will pre 87 ones fit in my car fine?
Old 08-10-2007, 11:41 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Default RE: power to manual windows

Pretty easy, you need the manual regualtor, 1/4" rivets and a big daddy rivet gun. The rivet guns are only $20 for a cheapo. I think I have some if interested and will include new rivets, p.m if interested
Old 08-10-2007, 11:48 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: adumb

my windows need a bit of a overall and i was thinking of maybe going oldschool with the crank windows and no power locks. it will kinda fit the whole theme of the car i think. my question is what do i need to get this done. do i just need a window crank and the regulator thing plus a rivet gun or is there alot more do it then that. also, where can i get some oldschool armrest that don't have the power stuff on them. will pre 87 ones fit in my car fine?
Hey maybe we could do an exchange. What color are your door panels and arm rest? There is a differance in the panels other than just a hole for the window crank. The arm rest them selves are different in length and how they match up to the door. I'm in the process of putting full power doors on my car. My car was originally non-power I added power locks and mirrors to my old doors. I'll try to get some pictures taken asap to show you what I have and the differance in the panels.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:04 AM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stang8689

Pretty easy, you need the manual regualtor, 1/4" rivets and a big daddy rivet gun. The rivet guns are only $20 for a cheapo. I think I have some if interested and will include new rivets, p.m if interested
have some rivet guns or the manual regulators?

also how the heck are you sapost to get this big daddy rivet gun in the door and have room to work. i honestly have never used a rivet gun so is it just a point shoot thing or is it a total pita

post up some pics of those door panels and are rest and well see. are they greay cause that is what i am looking for.bb
Old 08-11-2007, 12:08 AM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

are you sure the panels are different for power and non power cause 50resto doesn't list different ones for each.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:10 AM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: adumb

are you sure the panels are different for power and non power cause 50resto doesn't list different ones for each.
I never knew they where different till now, I'll let the pictures pretty much answer your question. 50resto is good but they are not perfect.

First, top is the dark gray panel from my 87, bottom is a lighter gray GT panel note the length of the opening for the arm rest and even though the GT is missing the insert you can see a power window panel has a longer insert that is what screwed me up I was wanting to use my old inserts.

Next power panel with arm rest set in place

Non-power arm rest on power panel.

Back side of arm rest both are E7 (87) pieces note the location of the t-shaped metal alignment hooks.

Sorry but I don't have the blanks for my old arm rest that would go where the door lock switches are.

And final top view.

As you can see I have a set of GT panels but they are missing the inserts and I hate the door pockets I was going to put carpet on them and re-paint them like my LX panels.
But since my old inserts won't work I was going look for a different set of panels.
I need to get the proper wireing harness for the driver door too.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:19 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

I have the regulators, the rivet gun has a long nose