5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

what would you do in my case

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 10:38 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default what would you do in my case

I've come to sort of a stand still. i've ran out of money for right now (trying to pay off bills and build up a decent tool collection to make life easier to work on the stang) i have about 2 months lefts of decent weather to work outside. would you in my case

A) continue to buy parts and bolt them on as i get the money, bolting everything on and wait till spring and get a tuner or get it tuned.

B) wait till spring before i continue any further

C) gut the car, clean everything smooth the engine bay, rebuild tranny for now until i can afford the tko-600, replace/ fix rusty area's. then paint everything in the spring and put everything back in, get her runnin and get a tuner or get it tuned.

i guess im just anxious and getting bored. i love workin on this car but there isnt a ton more i can do right now unless i really hack into her.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:41 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: what would you do in my case

Ideally, I would say go with option A. But that depends on how much you want to put on. You can always wait to get the tune, but will you leave the car alone and not try to drive it or beat on it while waiting?

It's usualyl easier to buy the parts here and there when you don't hav a lot of money. Then when you're done get it tuned. But you have to play it safe. In other words, don't get a 12PSI blower and a 150 wet-shot unless you KNOW that you won'tuse it until it get's tuned.

If you can't wait then go with option B. I wouldn't even bother with C.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:10 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: samseed101

Ideally, I would say go with option A. But that depends on how much you want to put on. You can always wait to get the tune, but will you leave the car alone and not try to drive it or beat on it while waiting?

It's usualyl easier to buy the parts here and there when you don't hav a lot of money. Then when you're done get it tuned. But you have to play it safe. In other words, don't get a 12PSI blower and a 150 wet-shot unless you KNOW that you won'tuse it until it get's tuned.

my original thought was option A. and i agree with you and know what your saying, i wont beat on the car without a tune. you wont beleive the disasters that come into this local mustang shop/ general auto modding place(or maybe you would) that people mod their car and wont tune it, then just beat the **** out of it. I thought about C becuase i get bored when i dont have anything to do on the car when i know there is just so much to be done, like cleaning and stripping and welding and replacing. (I'm one of those people who like to get things done ASAP, I guess thats why i do well at work) maybe i'll just fix the body over the winter and just buy up a good part collection until the snow melts and i'll have tons to do.

worst i've seen yet, modding a car without atune,is an '01 prelude this guy dropped in a JDM H22 engine with aTT and he got it all put in and working and everything supposedly it should have 350-400 to the wheels. well he took it out and beat the **** out of this car and then brought it into the shop because it would pour out white smoke on start up until operating temp then it would smoke like desiel blacker than the night. put it on the dyno hit 57hp at 5000 RPM's. hahahahhahahahhahahah
Old 08-13-2007, 11:33 AM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh

ORIGINAL: samseed101

my original thought was option A. and i agree with you and know what your saying, i wont beat on the car without a tune. you wont beleive the disasters that come into this local mustang shop/ general auto modding place(or maybe you would) that people mod their car and wont tune it, then just beat the **** out of it. I thought about C becuase i get bored when i dont have anything to do on the car when i know there is just so much to be done, like cleaning and stripping and welding and replacing. (I'm one of those people who like to get things done ASAP, I guess thats why i do well at work) maybe i'll just fix the body over the winter and just buy up a good part collection until the snow melts and i'll have tons to do.

worst i've seen yet, modding a car without atune,is an '01 prelude this guy dropped in a JDM H22 engine with aTT and he got it all put in and working and everything supposedly it should have 350-400 to the wheels. well he took it out and beat the **** out of this car and then brought it into the shop because it would pour out white smoke on start up until operating temp then it would smoke like desiel blacker than the night. put it on the dyno hit 57hp at 5000 RPM's. hahahahhahahahhahahah
HAHA!
Old 08-13-2007, 12:22 PM
uni_uni
2nd Gear Member

put it on the dyno hit 57hp at 5000 RPM's
still pretty good for a honda

[/align]
Old 08-13-2007, 12:33 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: uni_uni

put it on the dyno hit 57hp at 5000 RPM's
still pretty good for a honda

[/align]
Maybe you missed it in his post, but it was a twin turbo Honda! So were talking at LEAST 75hp here, maybe even 80 on a cool day. 57HP is barely better than stock for those things!
Old 08-13-2007, 12:39 PM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

haha, i was at a local mustang shop that has a dyno and there was a honda sitting on it. I asked about it, and the shop owner told me that when the guy brought it in he said it should have around 260 rwhp. Well, come to find out it was running on 2 cylinders and making under 100 hp. LOL
Old 08-13-2007, 02:28 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: 1985stang

haha, i was at a local mustang shop that has a dyno and there was a honda sitting on it. I asked about it, and the shop owner told me that when the guy brought it in he said it should have around 260 rwhp. Well, come to find out it was running on 2 cylinders and making under 100 hp. LOL
i've seen that before. the guy happened to time both his cams incorrectly and he only made power off two cylinders at like 2500 rpms and like 6000 rpms......those cars suck. but i think he peaked at like 150 or somethin. lol
Old 08-13-2007, 09:12 PM
nhancedssp
1st Gear Member

it's not just hondas... i was at a dyno a year ago and there was a focus there that only made 47hp! but it had problems and the owner was trying to figure out what they were...
Old 08-13-2007, 09:16 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

I just spent a few months buying parts and waiting to do it all at once

Quick Reply: what would you do in my case