5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

so hard to go in any gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 08:13 PM
89stanger1989
2nd Gear Member

Default so hard to go in any gear

i bought a 1989 mustang lx with the 5.0 conversion. it is so hard to put it into any gear. the clutch is very hard to press and when i do throw it in first it slams in there. this is only when the car is on. when the car is off it goes into gears pretty easy except for reverse. reverse is the only gear that grinds. i got a short shifter by the way. does anyone know what the problem is. some people tell me the tranny is messed up,some say i got a racing clutch thats why the pedal is hard,some say i need a new pressure plate and some say its the shifter. i dont know what it is
Old 08-16-2007, 08:38 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: so hard to go in any gear

Clutch cable needs adjustd.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:14 PM
89stanger1989
2nd Gear Member

the owner told me that too and i did do that. where the line comes out from the firewall i turn it all the way and i think it helped a bit but its still hard. maybe the line is too short??
Old 08-16-2007, 09:28 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Pedal stiffness is determined by the finger springs on the clutch pressure plate. A high clamping clutch will be harder to push down, so that is probably what you have. When the tranny will go in gear easy with the motor off, but hard to get in gear with the motor running, it can only be one of three things. Cable out of adjustment, bad syncros or bad pilot bearing. With the car running and in gear, where does the clutch start to grab... just as the pedal is coming off the floor... half way up... or near all the way up? If you answer just as the pedal is coming off the floor, you have too much slack in the cable and when you push the pedal to the floor, it is not fully disengaging the clutch. This will make it hard to get in gear and eventually wear the syncros out, if they aren't already worn out. If you get or have the cable adjusted correctly and the problem is still happening, you have bad syncros or a bad pilot bearing.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:29 PM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: capri debris

Pedal stiffness is determined by the finger springs on the clutch pressure plate. A high clamping clutch will be harder to push down, so that is probably what you have. When the tranny will go in gear easy with the motor off, but hard to get in gear with the motor running, it can only be one of three things. Cable out of adjustment, bad syncros or bad pilot bearing. With the car running and in gear, where does the clutch start to grab... just as the pedal is coming off the floor... half way up... or near all the way up? If you answer just as the pedal is coming off the floor, you have too much slack in the cable and when you push the pedal to the floor, it is not fully disengaging the clutch. This will make it hard to get in gear and eventually wear the syncros out, if they aren't already worn out. If you get or have the cable adjusted correctly and the problem is still happening, you have bad syncros or a bad pilot bearing.
Listen to the man, He knows what he is talking about. I could not have given a better answer myself.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:01 AM
89stanger1989
2nd Gear Member

with the car running i have to push the clutch all the way to get it in gear and into another. if it is the syncros how do i go about replacing them because i been driving it like this for a week already.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:19 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

sounds like clutch cable need adjusted to me.

reverse always grinds, no syncros on reverse, go into 4th or 5th first
and then it will slide right into reverse.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:25 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

a firewall adjuster needs to be screwed OUT to bring the pedal up, not in
Old 08-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Bad Magik

My car was doing the same thing, replaced the clutch cable - solved the problem!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:29 AM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89stanger1989

with the car running i have to push the clutch all the way to get it in gear and into another. if it is the syncros how do i go about replacing them because i been driving it like this for a week already.
It takes more than a week to wear out the syncros if the clutch is not adjusted properly, so you should be ok as long as the syncros were good to begin with. Just set the clutch so it grabs with the pedal about half way up and you'll be fine. If the syncros are shot... you'll have to pull the tranny and decide if you want to rebuild it or get a new or used one to replace it. And if you pull the tranny, don't forget to check/replace the pilot bearing and put a new rear main seal in the motor while you're in there. Hope you get things figured out.

Quick Reply: so hard to go in any gear