5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

tech questions in general

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:10 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: tech questions in general

ok. you guys answered all the questions EXACTLY how i did. this kid im talkin to has a 2000 z-28. he doesnt know much about cars but like to pretend he knows.

so he calls me and says " dude! i bought this new TB today and its a high flow port n polish." and so i was like sweet do you know how big it is? and of course no he doesn't. so he asks kind of how to change it out for the stock one. so he does this and calls back. "dude i got it on and its sick! but i have one problem, when i turn on my a/c the car dies now and it kind of bogs a little bit too." so i ask him, what is your idle set at? he explains its at 400 rpms but he use to be at 500 so he didnt see a problem. i advised him, "400 or 500rpms is too low for your car, you basically making your car suffer, you need to raise to at least 600 but idealy you want it at about 750 to 800." he was like, yea im just having troubles with this so im taking it to the shop tomorrow. i told him to just adjust the idle screw and problem solved. he totaly disregards that takes it to a shop and they charged him 50 bucks to adjust his idle screw and make sure the air worked. HOW GAY!!!!!

so this got me thinking, i wanted to know how big this TB was since he never told me. so i asked " hey when you put on that TB was it bigger or smaller than the original? i mean did it line up exactly on the hole on the intake." he says yes its the same but this one is so much smoother and he asks how much HP he gained. so i made a joke but was semi serious " oh about .98 hp maybe 1 hp at most" so he gets all pissy at me and says its hi flow and blah blah blah. im like that doesnt mean ****, you just bought the same exact TB as you already had....send it back. he said nah its already on he thinks it will work better when he gets his LS6 intake.

then he talked about the coolant by-pass mod that can be done on almost any car and how it adds 10hp. this is what his mechanic told him that charged him to adjust an idle screw for 50 bucks. i said nah....the theory behind it sounds good but the gains are so little that its not worth the trouble and i wasnt sure but it might not be good either so i advised him against it. this one he took my advise because i explained how to do it if he wanted but cant do it himself and he doesnt have much more money to pay his mechanic for this.

doesnt this kid just **** you off after reading all of this!?!?? i know im about to have a conniption. (and im going to not print this part out for him. when i show him this. lol)

thanks for all your replies guys! hopefully he will take my advise from now on and actually learn soemthing.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:10 AM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

kick him in his face and tell him to sell the car and buy a civic...
Old 08-29-2007, 10:41 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i dont want him to sell it because i want to beat his car first. as soon as i whoop on his LS1 then ill say "if you keep buying pointless shlt you might as well sell your car. after all its a 350 vs a 302"
Old 08-29-2007, 10:45 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ahittz24

He already owns a camaro. That's punishment enough.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:53 PM
86GreenMachine
2nd Gear Member

[sm=icon_rofl.gif]
ORIGINAL: ahittz24

Old 08-29-2007, 05:24 PM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

Sam.. Where did you come up with that line under your sig pic??? That kills me!!! Did you just put it there or have I just never noticed it before?