5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Hood Release cable snaped, how can i open hood?

Old 08-31-2007, 10:48 AM
Ninety3LX

Default Hood Release cable snaped, how can i open hood?

First off, thanks for the help you guys have given me so far with all my random dumb questions about my mustang lol... Now on to it...

This morning I tried to pop the hood, gave the hood release a good tug but nothing... I'm assuming the cable is snapped somewhere down the line, so how exactly can i get the hood to open now?

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:53 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: Hood Release cable snaped, how can i open hood?

drill the hinges and torch the latch
Old 08-31-2007, 11:22 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

there's an easier way........if the car is on a lift it'll be easier but if not jack it up and usually with a long screw driver you can just reach the latch mechanizim and play with it untill you hit the right spot or you can try and get to whats left of the cable if it didn't break off up at the latch under the hood and access the cable if you can get to it and cut it open and use vise grips to pull on it.....i've done a few before and never had to use a torch ...which may cause more damage then it solves..anyway goodluck
Old 08-31-2007, 11:40 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: mjr46

there's an easier way........if the car is on a lift it'll be easier but if not jack it up and usually with a long screw driver you can just reach the latch mechanizim and play with it untill you hit the right spot or you can try and get to whats left of the cable if it didn't break off up at the latch under the hood and access the cable if you can get to it and cut it open and use vise grips to pull on it.....i've done a few before and never had to use a torch ...which may cause more damage then it solves..anyway goodluck
theres no way you thought i was serious did you????????? wow if you did...just wow

anyways. to make life easy before you start playing with your latch doo dad, stick your head down where the hood latch release goes. did the cable come off? can you grab it? if you can grab it pull with both hands and wala! its open! .....unless your cable really is broke....

then go to plan B ^^^^
Old 08-31-2007, 07:28 PM
Ninety3LX

Yehp guys thanks for the help, just took the handle off the hinge and gave the whole thing a good tug... Bingo poped right open
Old 09-01-2007, 12:25 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Believe me fivepointoh, I have seen people reccommmend/ do some pretty funny/interesting stuff when it comes to repairs and or how to do them to some people the hot wrench is their best friend..all I was doing was suggesting a more friendly way just incase you were serious because you can never tell with all the different ideas that people have on here with relation to performing repairs.....It's hard to interpert spoken tone through letters and posts so don't assume people get what your saying unless otherwise stated.......trust me I have friends that would just run with the idea you mentioned cause they don't know any better they often will believe my sarcasm cause they don't have enough automotive knowledge.....not all sarcasm is readily understood or implied expecially to a lot of newbies on here......kinda like the ole muffler bearing trick lol lol!!!
Old 09-01-2007, 01:13 AM
Ninety3LX

lol don't worry guys once i got this taken care of i made sure to top off my blinker fluid too...