5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

5.0 Mustang 89 Notch GT Failure to Run Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 01:27 PM
ravenforbidden
2nd Gear Member

Default 5.0 Mustang 89 Notch GT Failure to Run Engine

I have a 89 GT and it's refusing to stay started, it attempts to start, but the problem seems to lean towards Ignition or Clutch related. It starts somewhat, then dies under 5 secs. I've replaced most the ignition system and electronics excepting the ECU. Before it'd start then die as you released the clutch and let it sit out of gear or anything. Before it just fried the ICM so I replaced it, and things worked great. Now it won't run and I'm about hopeless about it, I can't think of anything to check.[:@]

I love my Mustang so it'd be great if I could get some help to fix it up, I mean, soon if I get it paid off since I got it from my dad via an auction I'm going to take the old 5'O out and drop in a Modular 5'0 4Vwith Kennebell 2.8 Comp blower on it. But right now it needs to run so I can get to work.

It's young, under 77,000 miles, all original, minor body damage, no accidents, just a ditch.

Thx I can give you more info as required if needed.

RM
Old 09-03-2007, 03:17 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 5.0 Mustang 89 Notch GT Failure to Run Engine

ok so what part of the ignition did you replace? cuz i had a verry simmilar problem. it would sometimes start and then die and if i gave it gas in neutral it would bog and then backfire and not start. it ended up being my msd blaster coil that went bad. it was only a year old so i didnt think it could have been that. i thought i wasnt getting enough fuel pressure so i replaced the pump and still nothing. but when i put the stock coil back on she fired right up. but have you checked the fuel pressure? what is it at? should be around 35-40psi. also are you getting spark? and if so what color is it? i had spark but it wasnt hot enough. i was getting an orange spark and it should be blue.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:17 PM
ravenforbidden
2nd Gear Member

No longer an issue, seems the distributor sensor for the ICM was shot, I replaced it, retimed it, cleaned up the whole Distributor while I was there, and she's cranking into low 13's again. Almost went for the Coil, but tested it and besides running alot more hotter than a stock one, it did pretty good. So far so good, and right now the Mac Pullies (steel) are running fairly well as well, which I thought at first had caused some of the issue.

Thanks alot bro, love the paint, to bad you don't get 18-26 like me LOL
But you got my *** for the bike nice!

[IMG]local://upfiles/78868/390DBE9EE4834ACBB81A387E9B3E83FB.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-03-2007, 10:19 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Ok good. But what's a notch gt?
Old 09-03-2007, 10:25 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=wtf.gif]notch gt????
Old 09-04-2007, 12:27 PM
ravenforbidden
2nd Gear Member

LMAO

KK

Ummm a notch, is short for Hatchback, LOL it's sorta a slang thing. You may hear it you may not.

Either way my baby is a notch\hatchback LOL
Old 09-04-2007, 05:40 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: ravenforbidden

LMAO

KK

Ummm a notch, is short for Hatchback, LOL it's sorta a slang thing. You may hear it you may not.

Ummmm, NOOOOO, not even close.[&:] Like apples to oranges!
Old 09-04-2007, 06:59 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

lol notch gt! there are notches, hatches, and verts. but i guess a notch gt would be like a notch that someone put the gt ground effects on...
Old 09-04-2007, 07:09 PM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

ORIGINAL: ravenforbidden

LMAO

KK

Ummmm, NOOOOO, not even close.[&:] Like apples to oranges!
Yea i agree with this statement 100%
Old 09-04-2007, 07:39 PM
ravenforbidden
2nd Gear Member

LOL okay fine, some people are more specific some are not. I don't really care that much. Around here, Notch or Hatch it's GT, LX is LX.

Keep in mind, the GT is the true breed, and the LX is the poor man's stang.

I have yet to find an LX comparably equipped to mine (exhaust replaced pipes to mufflersand underdrive pullies) to run as fast as my pony. And I still have my 40k 2yr build in motion, I'ma rip out that old 5'0 and drop in a new Modular 4V Stroked built by DSS 5'0 with a KB 2.8 Screamer on top, plus some other nice toys.

The real question a stang owner must ask him\her-self, is this:

Can I rumble the doors off Honda's andmake the other driver freakout when you sit by em?

LOL you'd have to like the "Snakebite" Cobra 04 to really know how a stang should feel pedal down. LX's are lighter sure, but you'll never compete with my GT on the showroom floor with it's bodykit on, looks rather racerish when it's done, but I have to wait around on it, I have some other things to take out, like car payments, colledge, and possibly my girl's car. And as for the performance end, don't feel like your a Honda, it's just the way my baby purrs.

Such is my little project
"Ravenforbidden"

Quick Reply: 5.0 Mustang 89 Notch GT Failure to Run Engine