MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion-87/)
-   -   Replacing the clutch quadrant (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion/346098-replacing-the-clutch-quadrant.html)

PRO50SC 09-16-2007 08:02 PM

Replacing the clutch quadrant

Tomorrow after work. Anything out of the norm I should expect in the removal of the old one, (tricks, short cuts)I mean besides having a tough time getting under the dash.

FuzzyDiceRule 09-16-2007 08:33 PM

RE: Replacing the clutch quadrant

take out the seat and put a piece of foam over the seat bolts

i learned the second one the hard way

WhiteWindsor 09-16-2007 09:10 PM

Really no short cuts. It is pretty basic. I weigh 250 and did not have to remove seat. Lay on your back and put your feet on the ground. The hardest part is toposition right so you can move your arms and elbows without them getting wedged. My shoulders are wide though, you may not have that problem

ZachW04Stang 09-16-2007 09:13 PM

It wasn't too hard for me but I'm real skinny. It only takes about 20 minutes if that. Once you've got it out putting the aftermarket 1 piece on in is easy.

PRO50SC 09-16-2007 09:44 PM

ORIGINAL: FuzzyDiceRule

take out the seat and put a piece of foam over the seat bolts

i learned the second one the hard way

lol not taking the seat out. I put a new clutch cable in my wifes car w/o doing it so I figure this will be a lil easier. And yeah, I'm def a wide body!;)

Thanks guys, I'll let'cha know how it feels tomorrow night

bighungrymatt 09-16-2007 09:45 PM

+1 if you take out your seat put the foam over the seat bolts,
you shouldn't have any problems

stang8689 09-17-2007 06:15 AM

I left my seat in too, it was alot easier to do the quadrent than to replace the plastic pedal bushings

00limited7 09-17-2007 06:52 AM

I had a hard time getting the little spring loaded racheting gear off of the top pin. There isn't enough room to slide it off the shaft. Too many brackets in the way.So I disconnected the clutch cable and pulled it out. Then I put a BFB (big frigging brick) on the clutch pedal to hold it to the floor. This raised it to where it was lined up to the hole for the clutch cable in the firewall. Then I used a BFS ( big frigging screwdriver) to hammer on the plastic gear at the center point of the shaft. After repeated blows and a lot of cussing it broke off of the shaft. The rest was a cake walk. If your putting a new adjustable cable in I had to trim the four nubs off of the new cable to get it to fit into my new firewall adjuster. That information wasn't in the instructions I got with the UPR three piece quadrant kit.

Good luck,
Roger

mojopony 09-17-2007 09:50 AM

Agreed, that self adjusting mechanism can be a PITA (pain in the @r$e)! The billet quadrants should come with a spacer though because there's a lot of lateral slop on the shaft.

bighungrymatt 09-17-2007 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: 00limited7

BFB (big frigging brick) BFS ( big frigging screwdriver)

hahaha,
Ijust bent the spring with a screwdriver until it popped off