5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

ignorant people on cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 08:56 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default ignorant people on cars

i really hate when you have people that want to mod their cars and they are completely ignorant. i had a friend call me up last night and ask me to come over and help him throw on an intake on his '00 camaro Z-28. my first thoughts were....**** i hate working on these cars.

so i get there and he had already been workin on the car for over an hour and only had the stock air box removed. so i jumped in and started helping, i removed all the emissions stuff for him and he sitting there trying to read the instructions to me. i'm like dude i dont need any instructions. anyways they all had jack shyte for tools so i had to run home and get a proper set of sockets and screw drivers.

anyways long story short. i ripped my finger open on those stupid injector harness has this dumb metal safety clip. that sucked. i ended up doing the whole intake myself which i figured and come to find out he never set his base idle when he put on a new TB so i had to fix that. but he let me drive it as soon as it was done and it wasnt too shabby.

anyways camaros suck and fox's are awesome and 100,000,000,000 times easier to work on. i tried advising him on his next mods....he didnt believe me and is putting on all these retarded mods. and just to verify i went on camaro forums just to ask and of course its basically the same as fox mustangs for suspensions as far as what you should upgrade. nope nobody listens to me because i own a mustang and they think camaros are better. its a shame im so nice and actually helped him out, he was about to take it to a shop.......i should have made him pay me!![:@]
Old 09-17-2007, 09:28 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: ignorant people on cars

why even waste your time.....what does he do for you???.....I learned that lesson along time ago[:@]...I just tell my friends when they ask that I' got alot to do and play dumb half the time by saying uhhhhhh don't know........and if they brought it by the shop we'd figure it out...usually they respond in a nice way by saying....well thanks anyway for the little advice rendered... lol lol
Old 09-17-2007, 09:46 AM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

yes i agree camaro's are teh gheyness
but yea i have an lt1 friend that calls me just to ask me stupid questions like how can i get halo headlights like on bmw's and should the cold air intake work better if its on the right or the left?? duhhhrrr
Old 09-17-2007, 10:03 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

I can my intake off in about 15 min on my SS, they are not all that hard to work on once you know what your doing.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:09 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

should i have made him pay me or something? it ended up being about 6 hours but that includes the two trips to my house to get tools and again to get lube for his injector o-rings. so maybe.....4 hours in work time. that removal of air box, egr system, removal and install of new intake. i like doing this stuff and i feel bad that hes my friend but couldnt really do it himself and he brought all his "car" buddies but all they did was sit around watching. should that have been me?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:16 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: JD1969

I can my intake off in about 15 min on my SS, they are not all that hard to work on once you know what your doing.
now that ive done it yea i totally believe you, i had no idea, ive never worked on that car before. its very striaght forward but at first i have to figure out where everything was and what did and did not need to be unhooked/ unbolted.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:39 AM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

Doesn't sound like you would have had to make the second trip home for O-ring lube. You could have just reached around and got a little KY, unless he was a$$ raping you dry! OUCH!
Old 09-17-2007, 10:40 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

still though...I don't feel bad for my friends when they're in over their heads....I just tell them to stop being cheap and pay a qualified person to do it and when they tell me they don't have enough money to pay someone I tell them ...then you shouldn't of bought the part!!!....because once you do it one timefor free then they will keep coming back and expect the same thing.....your knowledge is worth something....I'm sure it took you time to learn what you did maybe even a cost of going to school too.....at least for me it did so I rarely now work on friends cars for free and if I do my rule is no more then a few twists of a screw driver cause if I gotta get dirty it's gonna cost 'em
Old 09-17-2007, 11:06 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

I guess Im lucky.. all my friends that call me for help have an agreement.. we help each other out on our projects. There is a group of 5 of us that all mod cars and help each other work on vehicles. Ive done a ton of work on their cars, but they always help me when I need a second hand on doing things with which ever car I am working on at the time... although my buddy with the subaru.. whose engine we've pulled multiple times to rebuild and then replace a bad gasket, etc.. owes me a ton of work for all the help I gave him doing that job.. I hate those damn cars.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:22 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

well i like your rule, if i get dirty its gonna cost ya. i will agree with you. and HAV i know what you mean, but im sure all your buddies and you all share similar levels of knowledge. but workin with my friends is like a rocket scientist working with a monkey with a wrench. its not that bad but you know what i mean. they dont have the practical knowledge, common sense whatever you want to call it. once they've done something they can do it again with a little work. so you think next time i should require a type of repayment for my services?

Quick Reply: ignorant people on cars