5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

O/R X-pipe install...one thing after another

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 11:24 AM
SOFmech
1st Gear Member

Default O/R X-pipe install...one thing after another

What one would seem to be an easy swap turned into quite a project. I got a Pypes O/R X-pipe and was installing on my 92. Everything went smooth until the air tube would not come off the stock H-pipe. Finally got the whole thing out and had to use a bunch of PB Blaster to get the tube off. Then the tube would not fit on the X-pipe. So I got out the Dremel and made it work. Everything together, mounted the front and the cat-back would not fit. The X-pipe seemed to be too long for the Flowmaster cat-back to fit. I tried everything to make it work with no luck. It kept getting stuck on the axle and wouldnt go back any further. After wrestling with it for about 45 mins., out comes the cut off wheel. Looks like I will be having some dumps on it now. Getting ready to go back out and finish it up. Just though I would share my frustrations with everyone. I will get an exhaust clip when I am done.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:19 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Default RE: O/R X-pipe install...one thing after another

I had the same problem when I went from my H pipe to my X. It seemed to be longer, but I didn't have to cut my tailpipes off.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:30 PM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

Good to know as i am gonna get an x pipe within the next months.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:11 PM
SOFmech
1st Gear Member

Well, the project is done and all is well now. One more problem I ran into was the pass. side O2 sensor. It seems the hole is drilled in a different spot. The wires were about 2" short. I just pulled some wire from around the oil pan. It was way too loud to have turn downs put on so I took it to the exhaust shop and had them weld the old pipes back into position. Only $50 to do it. As for the sound, it sounds great. It is a different tone than with the factory H but I think I will be able to get used to it. I will try to have a sound clip tomorrow. I can tell it has picked up a few more ponies or maybe it is just louder. Feels faster to me.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:54 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

i had a fitment issue with my flowmaster catback as well. the fit was so tight that if i hit a bump the rear axle would hit the tailpipes and dented them up pretty could. i couldnt stand the banging anymore so i just went to dumps and now i have no issues. i miss the look of my tailpipes though. my car is also slightly lowered which may have played a roll in it but i dont know
Old 09-22-2007, 11:15 PM
SOFmech
1st Gear Member

I guess thats what happens when I throw different brands together. Next time I will just do a complete exhaust from one manufactor. I just want my cats to fit back on when it comes time for emissions. I wonder how the aftermarketcatted X or H pipes flow?