5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

New Clutch What's the Real DEAL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 12:04 AM
treeska

Default New Clutch What's the Real DEAL?

I have an 86 GT 45,000 orignal miles. Headers is about all the only mods. I may change the chip orput a super charger on it at some point, but maybe not at all. It is a niceclean original carI don't want to F it up. I drive the car around town and get on it all the time I love bagin gears. I have never gone to the track but may go just to do it. Anyways I still don't know what clutch to put in.I read the 10 pages of information on new clutches and I'm just as confusedas I was before I read them. Here is what Igot from them.

The spec I &II are good for street and track butmay chatter %)) or more miles) and might not lastvery long.

The King Cobra is good for street and track, is cheaper, but also might not last very long.

Thecenter force is more expensive then the cobra but appears to last the longest and seems to have the least amounts of complaints. I don't think anyone had a story about it blowing up.

The stock clutch last a long time is cheap but does not grab as well as the others and may not be able to stand up to more HP (I don't mean 600 or 800 HP. It was unclear how much HP I could go with on the stock clutch.

I'm swaying towards staying stock. I'm really not looking to go to the track. I want the clutch to feel light and last. I beat up on the car burn outs and such, but alsoI drive around town sometimes withtraffic. I don't want my left leg muscles to be bigger then my right.

Any imput would be great. Please don't go nuts and talk about cars with 500HP. Remember what and how the car is being used. I figure when Ford made the Mustang they new people were going to beat on it. I would think they would make a strongstock clutch. I don't want to get into you changed the clutch nowyou need to change this or that. This will never be a racer car. Not while I own it,it'sto nice.I want to drive it not work on it. I'm 35yoa so I'm notsome young kid who will sell the car in a few years.

Lets hear what you guys got.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:51 AM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New Clutch What's the Real DEAL?

I am a fan of Ram. I had a Centerforce and did not have any luck with the clutch discs. They had very little pedal effort but the disc just didn't last. I had a FRPP clutch and it did ok buthad quite a bit of pedal effortand it didn't like nitrous.I have never had a Spec and don't know anyone that has so I cannotsay anything good or bad about them. The stock clutch is good for about 350 horsepower at the flywheel I have been told. No more than you plan on doing I would buy a stock replacement from a reputable company like Ram or Zoom. I have used both of these brands and been happy with longevity, pedal effort, and holding power. Even if you are on a budget these clutches are moderately priced as well. I would do two things when you put this new clutch in. I would put in an aftermarket clutch cable, quadrant, and a steel input shaft bearing retainer. Good luck!
Old 09-25-2007, 03:18 AM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

I love my centerforce dual friction, pretty much feels the same as my stock one did to me... so far I love it
Old 09-25-2007, 07:24 AM
slickshift
1st Gear Member

Sounds like the Ford Mustang HD kit would be just right for you
A little bit stiffer, a little beefier, but won't kill your leg in stop'n'go traffic

(PS, a chip won't do much for a stock '86, the money could be better spent elsewhere)
Old 09-25-2007, 08:09 AM
treeska

I assume the HD mans heavy duty?
That on it's face sound like what I would need not a racing but something I can beat on and drive in traffic.Where do I get it at a ford dealer? What do I need with it or is everthing in a kit?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:56 AM
slickshift
1st Gear Member

Yeah Heavy Duty
I can say from personal experience it's a good choice for an upgrade (specs say it'll handle 40% more than stock)

It's a kit, (but you can get the pieces separately) you should be able to get it from any FRPP dealer
I'd check online for some prices

M-7560-A302 last I knew
Disc, Plate, T/O bearing

Old 09-25-2007, 11:38 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

spec, stage 1 or 2, hands down

i have a stage 1.... it has a slight chatter leaving stops, sometimes... and it holds up to whatever i throw at it.... hard launches on sticky tires.... nitrous, etc etc....

Old 09-25-2007, 03:38 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: bighungrymatt

I love my centerforce dual friction, pretty much feels the same as my stock one did to me... so far I love it
I'm gonna go ahead and agree here since I just put one in my wifes car.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:17 PM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

spec stage 3 plus
Old 09-25-2007, 07:39 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

I know this is going to sound stupid but the Centerforce worked best with a AutoZone disc. I fried one disc and broke the center out of another and got tired of paying $189 for a disc. Centerforce atold me they couldn't help me. I shipped them the one that I broke the center out of and the man on the phone told me tuff luck.I went to AutoZone and bought a factory replacement disc for $85 and it was in the car until until I needed a fine spline disc.

Quick Reply: New Clutch What's the Real DEAL?