5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

How much hp for a 331,347???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 01:28 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Default RE: How much hp for a 331,347???

ORIGINAL: r.barn

347 will make that power.

You need a good matching head/cam combo though.
I recommend a Canfield head and custom cam package from www.camshaftinnovations.com though.

Tell him you want it to spin to 6,500+rpm and it will come with
right springs and everything else from the start and make the power you want with no guess work.

Also check out www.fordstrokers.com he can put together a 475-500hp long block
for around $4k with above mentioned parts.
jay and woody FTW
Old 10-05-2007, 08:05 AM
cammed99gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andywear87

i would go with the new cnc trick flow heads and if you have any thoughts of very much nitrous of going with a lower comp and forced induction later down the road dont waste your money on the stock block. get a boss block. if you get a stock 5.0 put the cam heads intake and doyour supporting mods and do the short block last cause if you put stock heads back on that 347 your going to be choking it and will prob make better numbers with the mods on the 302 and then when all supporting mods are done you can swap short blocks. doing it this way you can do the mods gradually as you can still drive it also.
That's not a bad idea to do the heads and intake first and the shortblock second but i think it would be funny to run a 347 thats looks like a 302 and tell people its a 302 and then put the heads and stuff on it in a month ortwo.I know if i do the shortblock first it will really choke the motor.either way i go it wont be to far apart though because my wife got her new job and this is just a toy on the side for me.It can stay down long as i want it to.

For the heads im really looking at the trick flow that has been p&p.I just like to get a set of heads that flow close to 300cfm and that should put me close to my goal of 370-400rwhp.twisted wedge heads flow around 250-260cfm and then have them cnc ported it should get u close to that 300cfm with a 550+lift cam.I mite even go with the stage 3 trick flow cam.I think its in the .58X-.59X lift range
Old 10-05-2007, 09:31 AM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

I guess I like the oppossite approach...

I say go with the 347 first, and put what you can afford on top of it. Run it until you get money for the top-end.

Then later, alls you are doing is opening the engine up, with a cam, then heads, then an intake.

All the while, keeping the engine in the car.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:19 AM
cammed99gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5spd GT

I guess I like the oppossite approach...

I say go with the 347 first, and put what you can afford on top of it. Run it until you get money for the top-end.

Then later, alls you are doing is opening the engine up, with a cam, then heads, then an intake.

All the while, keeping the engine in the car.
Yea i still probably go this route but when i do the 347 i will go ahead and put the cam i want in it.Then i will only have to do the heads, intake and the injectors.Me and my friend could have that part done in a day or so.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:57 AM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

If you put a stage 3 Trick Flow on stock heads you are going to have to have some good valve springs that may not work on whatever heads you decide to get down the road. If it were me I would wait and do it all at one time. Head gaskets aren't cheap as well as all the others. Besides I'm lazy and hate doing things over.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:23 AM
cammed99gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92GreyGT

If you put a stage 3 Trick Flow on stock heads you are going to have to have some good valve springs that may not work on whatever heads you decide to get down the road. If it were me I would wait and do it all at one time. Head gaskets aren't cheap as well as all the others. Besides I'm lazy and hate doing things over.
U have a good point there but i mite have that cover beings i got a friend that has a good set of stockgt40 heads laying in his shop.I could put a good setof springs on them and that would work for while until i get a real set of heads.When i do get a real set of heads i will buy them complete.U are definitely right on the gasket part

.All of this is still in the process and any moreidea's just lit me know becausei reallyapperciate guys.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:27 AM
andywear87
2nd Gear Member

i second 92greygt cause you can save money but if i were to do it in parts i would do them on a stock block. if you put that big of a cam you are gonna hsve to upgrade the springs and that is a waste of money on the stock heads since you are only going to have a month between all the parts start on your short block and why it is getting the machine work done (which could prob take up to a month) and i would get the twisted wedge heads that are already cnc machined from trick flow and do a custom grind cam and springs from cam inovations. also it will take a lot of supporting mods also. take your time on this car you have good plans and dont need the car so it will payh off to do it right the first time. good luck (also those heads are bad *** on a n/a motor as shown in the test mm&ff)
Old 10-05-2007, 11:38 AM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cammed99gt

Hey guys i never posted in the 5.0 section before but i really miss my old fox and thinking about getting another one.I drive a 99 gt for my dd.So this one would be a project car that can stay down how ever long it takes me to do something to it when i want.

I will put a 331 or a 347 in itand just worndering on some of the numbers.
I was thinking about p&p trick flow heads(afr second choice though), a good intake and a .550+ lift cam and around 11to1 compression with lt headers.I know there a lot more to it but i have a good idea of these cars beings i started with these before my 99.I forget about some of the numbers but would that get me in the 370-400rwhp range.
I'm there now with just a little ol 308.....Hey,,I ended up tradin of my 99 gt for a RACE/street car.......EASY 11'S ON SLICKS..but drag radials,,whole different game.../.....Yeah,,not real hard to make 400 RWHP on a 331 or a 347...I may eventually go to a 408 myself with a blow through carb and a procharger...Although I havent touched my Nitrous yet...150 shot installed and waiting....should be in the tens pretty easy..my 308 is a pump gas motor also...I've got few things to fix MY WAY over the winter and should pop a 10 sec.slipearly spring...yeah I really missed my ol 5.0 motor in my 85 and kinda like the fact this is easier FOR me to work on and play with...not to mention cost....oh ...I have a big hydraulic roller with a set of Canfields aluminum heads..
Old 10-05-2007, 12:03 PM
cammed99gt
4th Gear Member

Yea i will probably just buy my shortblock because i think there around the $15-$1800 for a 331 or a 347 because the friend thats going to help me im giving himthe old motor to him because he will probably be doing alot of the work to help me out.I havealot of knowledge on mustang but dont have a hole lot of hand on experience and he alicense ford mechanic
Old 10-05-2007, 01:20 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

you are going to need a custom cam PERIOD to make that kind of head work at all.

Quick Reply: How much hp for a 331,347???