5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

just installed my SLP loudmouth

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 03:21 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

Default just installed my SLP loudmouth

i just finished installing my exhaust, i have summit shorties, mac off-road H, and an SLP loudmouth catback. first off, let me say this...it's LOUD andsounds AWESOME. when i first fired it up i had a huge sh*t eating grin all over my face. but i noticed when i took it for a ride that its completely nutless now under 3K (i realize that i eliminated virtually 100% of my backpressure, but it lost a TON of low end torque...more than i expected). i used to be able to step on it and it would throw my head back into the seat, now it just kind of gradually gets faster. i also used to be able to floor it in 2nd around a corner and have the *** end kick out, now it doesnt at all. it does wake up after 3K though, but it kind of took all the fun out of it. my question is, will this be better when the computer "learns" the new exhaust? or is that pretty much how its going to be? also, my check engine idiot light came on for about a minute and then went off, is this just part of the computer's learning process?

sorry for the wall o' text
Old 10-05-2007, 03:33 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: just installed my SLP loudmouth

bigger exhaust means less backpressure means slightly less TQ. for a cheap fix either A) bump timing to make up slightly for your loss B)buy a intake spacer which will give your TQ right back or C) gears.
but yes, you do loose a little TQ doing bigger exhaust and no your computer wont "learn" exhaust
Old 10-05-2007, 03:39 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

LOL I had the same grin. And yeah, I also noticed a slight loss in torque as well. No biggie. Last time I had it dynoed it made 406 torquewhich was more than it made previously so I'm not complaining.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:15 PM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

Sweet. Post up a sound clip..
Old 10-05-2007, 04:39 PM
kennebell92conv
4th Gear Member

now get a kenne bell and you will have aboat load of tq
Old 10-05-2007, 07:48 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

LOL I had the same grin. And yeah, I also noticed a slight loss in torque as well. No biggie. Last time I had it dynoed it made 406 torquewhich was more than it made previously so I'm not complaining.
how many pounds of boost are you running? what horsepower did you dyno at? just curious
Old 10-05-2007, 08:41 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89MustangGT50

Sweet. Post up a sound clip..
i will hopefully next week, the only way i have to record sound right now is my crappy digital camera, but i'll have a nice digital video camera next week so i can get a better clip. i'll post it here and in the exhaust section when i have it.

but thanks for the responses...i'll just have to dumpthe clutchat 3K if i want to do a burnout i guess
Old 10-05-2007, 08:45 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: bighungrymatt

how many pounds of boost are you running? what horsepower did you dyno at? just curious
12 and 368
Old 10-05-2007, 08:59 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bighungrymatt

12 and 368
Nice! I might eventually get a 12lb pulley for my p1sc too
Old 10-05-2007, 09:36 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

It's a 14# pulley but b/c of the stock heads will only see 12psi[:@]

Quick Reply: just installed my SLP loudmouth