5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Can someone explain...(rear disc setup)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 04:09 PM
elite130
2nd Gear Member

Default Can someone explain...(rear disc setup)

I'm hoping someone here can explain something to me...

I'm looking into puting rear discs on my '88 LX. From the research I have done, I can use 94-98 rear axles (which I have) and 94-04 rear discs, calipers, etc (which I have). I'm just a bit confused as to how will the '98 axles work with the '88 rear end. Is the axle housing the same length and just the axle shaftsare longer to allow the use of disc brakes? I know I will have to do thebrake booster changes.I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:21 PM
elite130
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Can someone explain...(rear disc setup)

Once more question...is it really worth the effort to upgrade to a rear disc setup? How much of a difference is there in overall stopping distance?
Old 10-16-2007, 04:22 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

94-98 axles are five lug not 4 lug so you'd better have 5 lug rims ready to go on the car that's the big thing you are missing
Old 10-16-2007, 05:04 PM
elite130
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

94-98 axles are five lug not 4 lug so you'd better have 5 lug rims ready to go on the car that's the big thing you are missing
I have the 5-lugrims. I'm definitely doing a 5-lug swap. I'm just trying to figure out if all the extra effort to convert to rear discs is worth it.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:11 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

It'll definately reduce your stopping distance. As of yet, I haven't felt like I needed it in the 1/4 mile, but I'm getting close too, as my mph has hit 120. So, maybe soon the conversion will be for me
Old 10-16-2007, 08:24 PM
blwn93gt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: elite130

I'm hoping someone here can explain something to me...

I'm looking into puting rear discs on my '88 LX. From the research I have done, I can use 94-98 rear axles (which I have) and 94-04 rear discs, calipers, etc (which I have). I'm just a bit confused as to how will the '98 axles work with the '88 rear end. Is the axle housing the same length and just the axle shaftsare longer to allow the use of disc brakes? I know I will have to do thebrake booster changes.I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

the axles you have will work fine with your housing. the axles are .75" longer per side but the housings are the same. you also need to get a different master cylinder and an adjustable proportioning valve. the only other thing i see is ebrake cables. you will need a bigger brake booster as well. i am thinking about hydroboost myself. there is a nice write up on all this in the tech pages. make sure you get the right backspace wheels for the back to compensate for the extra axle length.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:35 PM
88_cobra
2nd Gear Member

u dont need a new brake booster. i am running cobra dual pistons in the front and ssbc kit for the rear adn i stop on a dime. i used a 94 gt mc and the stock 88 brake booster with and adjustable proportioning valve. as long as you set your proportioning vavle correctly, you shouldnt have a problem. i called the mm tech line and they helped out a ton!
Old 10-16-2007, 11:18 PM
kilgorq
2nd Gear Member

The only thing I have done on my rear disk setup is a large brake line to the rear and the rear disks. That alone made a huge difference on my 86. I will be adding proportioning valve and master cylinder later. But the shorthand mod I did cut my stopping distance down by about 30%. Not to mention it really reduced the plowing during hard braking.

My rear end with disk setup came out of an 88 t-bird turbo coupe. It is 3/4 wider on each side and is a 3.73 posi.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:51 PM
blwn93gt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88_cobra

u dont need a new brake booster. i am running cobra dual pistons in the front and ssbc kit for the rear adn i stop on a dime. i used a 94 gt mc and the stock 88 brake booster with and adjustable proportioning valve. as long as you set your proportioning vavle correctly, you shouldnt have a problem. i called the mm tech line and they helped out a ton!
you are able to lock up your brakes with the stock booster? there is a reason ford went with a larger booster on the 93 cobra and in 94 when all mustangs came with rear disc brakes. i guess your one of the lucky few.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:39 AM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blwn93gt

ORIGINAL: 88_cobra

you are able to lock up your brakes with the stock booster? there is a reason ford went with a larger booster on the 93 cobra and in 94 when all mustangs came with rear disc brakes. i guess your one of the lucky few.
Make that 2 lucky few.. I'm using the stock replacement master and original factory booster that came with my 87, and my 4 wheel disc work fine! *shrugs* Any one who has ridden with me and is a fox mustang owner has been very impressed with how well they work too.