5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Synthetic or non?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 04:39 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default Synthetic or non?

Sorry bout the repost but no one is ever in the general tech forum. Anyway, I just had the trans in my DD rebuilt. All new everything inside of it. So I got a case of AMSoil ATF. I was going to use it until several techs at work urged me not to use it. They said the clamping force of the clutch plates coming together are designed for a specific fluid, which in this case happens to be Dextron IIe (electronic). They said the synthetic fluid is too slippery and could cause premature failure, because the clutches will slip more than they are supposed to.

What would you guys do? Use the synthetic or the conventional ATF?
-P.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:00 PM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Synthetic or non?

You have to use conventional until it breaks in (don't know how long exactly). Thendrain it and switch to synthetic.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:37 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I assume you have an AODE... If you work at a dealership I can understang their push for OEM ......however, AMSOIL is some of the best shiz out there and is onr of the #1 synthetics on the market and in most cases meets and or exceeds OEM spec......I've used it in nemerous cars and the detergent packages and additives in most cases will far outlast a oem petroleum based product....just break it in and switch to synthetic via a flush.....but make sure the amsoil product you choose is reccommended for your application
Old 10-19-2007, 09:43 PM
racingboy
2nd Gear Member

mjr46, I'm sorry I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. I'm not a fan of the Amsoil.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:25 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

http://www.oil-tech.com/motoroil-comparison.htm

12, 2005: Amsoil has for decades paid independent labs to performance test their lubricants and those of the competition. Amsoil does not provide any oils for testing. The labs buy all the oils off the store shelves, runs the tests and delivers the results.

Oh no worry, I quite welcome your disapproval...everyone has a reason for why they use the oil they do and why they base that decision on their choice....infact I used to argue with my roomate many years ago in college about mobil one being the best.....boy wasI wrong...as he kindly dirrected me to independent studies on oil ratings......whether one agrees, which is the best oil out there, it doesn't change the facts and or findings but take a look at the link and all results are from an independent study not paid for or sponsered by amsoil..........As a matter of fact, I don't even have amsoil in any of my cars right now......I thought, I'd try that Royal purple gimick stuff shown by horsepower tv to gain 8 hp on the dyno by switching to all royal purple....and in my 66 I have costal oil non synthetic..yeah baby!!! .99 cents a quart!!!!
Old 10-20-2007, 01:30 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

I assume you have an AODE... If you work at a dealership I can understang their push for OEM ......however, AMSOIL is some of the best shiz out there and is onr of the #1 synthetics on the market and in most cases meets and or exceeds OEM spec......I've used it in nemerous cars and the detergent packages and additives in most cases will far outlast a oem petroleum based product....just break it in and switch to synthetic via a flush.....but make sure the amsoil product you choose is reccommended for your application
Actually, its not even in a mustang. Its in my DD probeGT. Its got a 4EAT (electronic automatic transmission). It has 7 shift solenoids inside of it. I had the trans shop replace all the clutches, seals, gaskets, solenoidsetc. And they also found a few "hard" parts that needed to be repalced. Thetechs at work (I work at a Honda dealer) unanimously said NOT to use the synthetic because it wouldmess it up (8 techs). One guys got 285K on his jeep cherokee, and all he uses is regular Dex3/mercon. Mind you he tows with that thing too.

As for engine oils, Im not a fan of mobil1. I prefer Castrol Syntec 5w50. Just have had MUCH better luck with it. Ive ran it everything from a '78 MGB to my stang to my brothers BMW. The stuff is awesome, keeps your car running nice and cool. The only time I ever had an engine break something is when I switched from syntec to mobil1. I seized a valve.
-P.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:14 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

o god, the tranny guy at work was telling me about the probe he had and trannys he did in them. 4EAT, you know why they call it that, b/c that tranny stands for 4 EAT YOUR LUNCH, lol he said that is one of the biggest pain in the *** trannies to build. i would say just use the regular oil and flush it every 30,000 if your not hard on it. 10-20k miles depending on how much abuse it gets.

he put a shift kit in a stnag once and the directions said to use mobile one synthetic MOTOR oil. he said it actully shifted very nice.